For info - building regs on loo/kitchen/fire escape routes

  1. Yes, a toilet can open into a kitchen provided there is a washbasin in the toilet.
  2. The removal of a wall would need approval if it is a load bearing wall. Also all habitable rooms on the upper storey should have windows which allow for escape, having an un obstructed area of at least 0.33m2 and be at least 450mm high and 450mm wide and the bottom of the openable area should be not more than 1100mm above the floor. Similarly all ground storey rooms should open directly onto a hall or other suitable exit or be provided with windows as before described. I would also recommend the provision of smoke detectors within the property.

I'm assuming from this that it's ok to have stairs leading up from the kitchen, provided that all rooms upstairs have windows big enough to escape through. Hmmm... time to get planning...

HTH :-)

Lyn

Reply to
lyn rivers

My brother has just built a kitchen extension with stairs in it. The door to the garage is under the stairs - fire door with intumescent strip. His upstairs windows are an easy fire escape onto grass - one of his dogs has leapt out of it on a few occaisions ...

The rule I'm personally worried about in my case is the one about low windows having to be made of toughened glass - the thing that makes them excellent fire escapes may be my downfall ....I doubt Pilkington K qualifies ....

Reply to
brugnospamsia