Footings crossing boundary

Page 2 of 2
Christian McArdle wrote:

There will certainly be ridicule when I hit one of them with my next generation of spud gun.
--
Grunff

Tee-hee. That's exactly what I was thinking of. I even have a prototype in the shed...

We're 9 miles from Cranfield, and they sure as sh*t do circuits over us.
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:40:27 -0000, "Christian McArdle"

Could be they are being put into a holding pattern
Paul Mc Cann

Seems like the next weekend d-i-y project for you is clear, Huge: you need to camoflauge the house, and put up a lightweight similacrum 800 yards away, and move the decoy house another 400 yards each weekend. Eventually you'll have the weekend wannabe pilots flying out to sea (and maybe running out of fuel ;-)
Should keep you busy for a few days...
Stefek
Stefek Zaba wrote | Seems like the next weekend d-i-y project for you is clear, Huge: | you need to camoflauge the house, and put up a lightweight | similacrum 800 yards away, and move the decoy house another 400 | yards each weekend. | Eventually you'll have the weekend wannabe pilots flying out to | sea (and maybe running out of fuel ;-) | Should keep you busy for a few days...
Should really confuse the council too when they look at the aerial photographs to spot new building work without planning permission.
Owain

Pah, that's nothing. We get overflown from RAF Odiham, and they use the field at the back of the house to practice setting down and taking off.
When I was at work one day my wife complained to Odiham that a Chinook pilot had been too close to the house and got the usual guff that he couldnt' have been, strict separation rules, highly repsonsible people, blah, blah.
Then she gave them the name of the man standing in the door of the Chinook which she had read off his uniform.
snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) writes:

*laugh* You want one of those Oerlikon's, you do.
[snip]

Nah, I have access to better stuff at work. Radar controlled mini-gun would be nice. Wife's experience highlights the problem of having a three-storey house in a low flying area.

Structure, vehicle or person.

Except the CAA will not accept uncorroborated complaints, so if you live in a the middle of a field and regularly get used as a waypoint by light aircraft flying well below 500ft, you're screwed.
Don't ask me how I know, unless you want to hear a lot of foul language.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
[23 lines snipped]

you are allowed to shoot birds that fall intio your land. You are not

500ft.
CAA Rule 5, IIRC. I can't find the file of letters of complain I keep at the moment, else I'd be able to give you Chapter & Verse.
"Zymurgy" wrote | Can I charge BAA for entering the airspace I own above my house ;-)
Much better to sort these things out amicably. A friendly note to the pilot saying "please do not fly here again or I'll let your tyres down" left under the windscreen wiper should do it.
Owain

Many planes don't have windscreen wipers.
Christian.
"Christian McArdle" <> wrote

<VVBG>
<thwap>
Cheers,
Paul.
"Zymurgy" wrote | "Christian McArdle" | > > Much better to sort these things out amicably. A friendly note | > > to the pilot saying "please do not fly here again or I'll let | > > your tyres down" left under the windscreen wiper should do it. | <VVBG> | > Many planes don't have windscreen wipers. | <thwap>
So what do you think Post-It(tm) Notes were invented for?
Owain
Peter Crosland wrote:

I think that this is the post the OP was referring to:
http://tinyurl.com/35r54
To quote:
"Boundaries can be a problem but with the new legislation, you can build right up to the edge and build footings on your neighbours side without his permission. This is to prevent the stupid 6" gaps appearing between extensions. He can object and appeal, but will be stopped from interfering if you are granted permission."

I didn't see the original thread either. But footings projecting across a boundary are indeed permissible under the Party Wall etc Act 1996. Section 1(6) states: "Where the Building Owner builds a wall wholly on his own land ......he shall have the right .........to place below the level of the land of the adjoining owner such projecting footings or foundations as are necessary for the construction of the wall."
Section 2(2)(g) of the same Act states, "A Building Owner shall have the right to cut away.....any footing....... or other projection on or over the land of the Building Owner in order to erect, raise or underpin any such wall or for any other purpose."
So, in principle you (as the person carrying out the work) have the right to extend footings over the boundary if it is "necessary", and also to cut off your neighbour's projecting footings on your land. Each case would be considered on its merits by the Party Wall Surveyors acting for both sides, but the general principles are that if you are building against an existing building you are responsible for maintaining its stability and you must not increase the load on its foundations. If your proposed foundations involve cutting off a projection or undermine the existing building then you will probably need to underpin it. Reinforced concrete foundations are not covered by these Clauses, and the neighbour's written permission is needed in all cases.
Peter

I don't know about the legal aspects and what is allowed and who pays for what. However, from a technical point of view, the original foundation would need underpinning and extending to allow the extra weight.
Christian.

Preferably not without the express agreement of the adjoining owner, legalities notwithstanding (when you sell you have to declare whether you have had disputes with neighbours)
Where extensions to semi-d's were concerned, in my BCO days we used to suggest to people that they talk to their neighbour and get their agreement (should be done by a solicitor, but exchange of letters at least) to build the extension flank wall on the line of the party wall (i.e straddling the boundary): first owner pays; in return for agreeing the second user can use the wall if they subsequently decide to extend. Both get an extra 100mm of internal space and no nasty gap. If you're doing this with a flat roof, best to extend up as a parapet along the boundary so owner 2 can do his stuff without disturbing your roof.