Food safe high temperature plastic adhesive wanted.

The handle to the lid of our steamer has broken off. The contact area is a narrow rim along a 12cm by 8cm oval. It is made out of plastic.

Does anyone have any pointers on what sort of adhesive would be appropriate? It needs to withstand high temperatures (up to 100 degrees Celsius) and should be non-toxic (food safe). You should be able get it wet and stick it into the dishwater too.

Removing the lid with no handle on it tends to lead to scalding... :(

Thanks in advance, Rem

Reply to
Rembrandt Kuipers

They`re usually less than =A320 - i`d be tempted to ditch it and just get= =20 another... After all, steam burns can be horribly painful...

I had to have my hand in a bowl of water for 3 days after getting one a=20 while ago - 2-3 seconds out of the water and i`d be in agony again.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Is it a tefal by any chance?

Reply to
Tim Morley

Indeed it is. A Tefal 1000cl three tier Steam Cuisine turbo diffusion, it is the easy store variety. Do you have the same problem?

Rem

Reply to
Rembrandt Kuipers

I have found one 3 tier one for 19.99. Worth considering. But it should be so easy to fix...

Reply to
Rembrandt Kuipers

Sure do!

Hmm, have you already replaced the green trays because the catches have broken and don't locate properly?

Reply to
Tim Morley

The catches break, we can live with that. Eventually each try breaks in half - we are onto our second steamer for this reason (although the old one has been passed on and is still in use). Our new trays are still intact, but I can see the cracks starting to appear.

With the last steamer I did actually try gluing the trays... another reason to find some glue that works. The useless handle makes good spare reinforcing material for this, but I need the glue. :(

I am reading that correctly - do you know how to get spares?

Rem

Reply to
Rembrandt Kuipers

In news:43024b6c$0$17477$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net, Rembrandt Kuipers struck the keyboard in a random fashion and came up with:

Go to a Car Accessory shop (probably NOT Halfords) and ask for JB Weld. Good to 600 deg C. Its a 2part epoxy (similar to Araldite) which is non-toxic when cured.

Reply to
Paul King

I think you may mean F, though even that seems high.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

In news:4304d1ea$0$1286$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net, Ian Stirling struck the keyboard in a random fashion and came up with:

My mistake - I was working from (a failing) memory ;) As it states here

under Features and Benefits (section C) it's good to 300 deg C :)

Reply to
Paul King

This looks exactly like what I need. I have purchased some and it looks like excellent glue to know about and have handy. Thanks! :)

Rem

Reply to
Rembrandt Kuipers

Just spotted this Ill do the same!

Reply to
Tim Morley

Halfords does sell JB Weld - at least they do in Sevenoaks!

Reply to
rjs

Interesting. We were given one of these dreadful space wasting-inventions. I thought I must be using it wrong as it shed various little bits of green plastic each time I used it (i.e. when the giver visited us). Glad to know that I'm not alone!

Richard

Reply to
rjs