Following on from the boiler thread ...

And what do you think happens to the salt and where it ends up?

Reply to
harryagain

Hmm. I wonder what happens to the waste heat from the CHP in Summer? I bet they would never build that now. I ran CHP once but we had a laundry. But laundry technology changed and it was no longer viable.

Reply to
harryagain

True. Big issue is cleaning up the flue gases. Lots of nasties. And you can't fire it purely on waste, there has to be some gas/oil input.

Also storing and processing the waste is a big expense.

Reply to
harryagain

And people here whinge about FIT. That lot would never be viable if started today. Note all the grants and subsidies.

That really is a bollix scheme. Going back to ancient technology. Stuff like that is being ripped out. The distribution losses makes something like that non viable, especially when you can get 98% efficient gas boilers. The money would be better spent on better insulation for the houses.

Reply to
harryagain

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why not run the flue through filters with water flowing over them? Put the water down the sewer system.

Reply to
Matty F

Can't you tell from how clean your sheets are?

Reply to
dennis

In article , harryagain scribeth thus

Gosh!, can you tell me what make and model they are please Harry?...

Harry?....

One of your better uttering's..

BTW got that Scope out as yet?..

Reply to
tony sayer

It gets collected, put on a truck, transported with hydrocarbon fuels, taken down a mine and child slave labour slicks it back to the walls of the caverns.

It gets collected, put onto the chips of the great unwashed.

It gets collected, shipped by hydrocarbon fuels for recycling in Asia, part way there the boat sinks and the salinity of the ocean increases such that very cute penguins cease to exist.

It gets washed into cracks in the road, locals collect it after the winter and put it on their chips which they eat whilst sat under blazing sunshine watching a nearby glacier melt due to global warming.

Reply to
The Other Mike

I was running hospital buildings/maintenance for thirty years.

Reply to
harryagain

Nowhere near as simple as that.

There has to be afterburners to destroy complex hydrochlrates etc and then there has to be scrubbers. The water can in no way be put down the sewer, it has tobe treated and you are left with a poisonous muck that goes very deep in landfill. Even this latter is pretty dubious method ofdisposal.
Some can be processed to extract useful chemicals.

Reply to
harryagain

Do you not know the difference between net and gross efficiencies? If you use the net efficiency figures of more than 100% can be achieved. Now tax your little brain as to how that might be possible.

If you can't work it out, the answer is here (using American terminology)

You're really quite ignorant.

Reply to
harryagain

How much energy would be used transporting and distributing 1000s of tons of salt to make the same roads/pavements safe in really cold climates?

Reply to
alan

Depends on how cold "really cold climates" really are but quite possibly the answer to your question is absolutely none since even concentrated salt solution will freeze if the temperature is low enough - somewhere in the region of -21C I believe - so it becomes pointless to use it.

In countries with cold winters the locals tend to walk or drive on compacted snow as a matter of course using suitable tyres or footwear. Even in the UK you can get tyres that allegedly give better grip on cold roads than normal tyres.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

I only want a little fire, so there won't be much smoke and other nasties. I just want to power my steam engine and generator without the neighbours or the Council complaining. Then I won't need a boiler certificate either!

Reply to
Matty F

Salt doesn't work in really cold climates.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite - and melted snow etc which re-freezes into ice is far more dangerous to walk on than snow.

The idea of heating roads etc seems to me like using any heater outdoors. A criminal waste of energy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On the continent, people use studded tyres & drive round on the packed ice. Illegal here I think.

Reply to
harryagain

Theres a link in that which doesn't go anywhere..

Umm .. how can you get better efficiency than 100 % please?..

According the SEDBUK boiler database the best of the lot obtains the following figures..

1 Keston: Qudos : 28s gas : regular : condensing : wall mounted modulating (28.4 - 28.4 kW) 90.3 % 91.1%

Unless of course there're made from Unobtainium;?..

Reply to
tony sayer