Folding Sliding Doors

Has anyone fitted folding sliding doors (external)? I have had quotes from a)The Folding Sliding Door company, b)Sunfold and c)ID-Systems and their prices are very different. Has anyone had any experience of these types of doors and what I should be looking for in the spec. Supplier (a) is =A34000, half the price of (b) & (c) and offers a 10 year guarantee so should I be worried? When I spoke to supplier (b) & (c) about their competitors they seemed unware they had any and had no idea what they did, or why their doors where any different, which concerned me a little. Thanks

Reply to
compactpowerhouse

We're in the process of doing something similar in our kitchen.

From what I've seen there are 2 general types, basic and designer. Folding Sliding Door fits into the basic, otherwise Sunfold, ID- Systems and Sun Paradise are the designer range.

I've had quotes from all those 3 designer companies as I wanted the Grand Design look ;-)

When you compare the Sunfold, ID and Sun Paradise, the price differences come from:

- differences in glass

- floor gaskets

- installation costs

- plans

- blinds

- locks comparing like with like, the prices do come out very similar, you think x may be cheaper until you find you'll have to pay for plans you don't need etc.

The warranty of 5 years (I thought was quite low) was the same for all.

The doors are all well engineered, but differences exist in the way the doors open, gaskets and blinds etc. Sunfold have a showroom in Chiswick and were very keen in chasing up the quote, but as you say the people we're just working there not working in the industry. Sunparadise (who'll be getting lots of my money) on the other hand knew everything (mostly the bad!) about others. A builder I use has used 8Ks worth of Sunfold doors and is very happy.

Have a read on the Screwfix forum, lots of people are happy with having spec'd/installed/used Folding Sliding Door company products.

Get your hands on stuff from SunParadise/ID/Sunfold and you'll see where your hard earned is going.

Reply to
gna03633

Hi, I have a mate who imports these doors amongst others from Denmark - not sure of the prices, but maybe worth a look...

Will