FM Aerial installation Q's

Hmm. OK. Which one? Does it have timer functions? That could be a good solution.
I have a Linn Classik which I use in the kitchen and conservatory. I wouldn't use it as a main hi-fi system, but the tuner and CD player are good and the packaging fits the application.

Actually that's my other great love, as I think about it, although generally I listen to it in the car.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

Umm. (rushes into bedroom to look) Sony EMT-CP303.
halfway decent speakers, clock alarm radio, CD player and cassette tape built on, and about 70-90 squids - probably oboslete now, but there is generally a clock/radio chepo sony 'hifi' in Dixons of one sort or anoher.
Advantge to this one is it sits across the room., but has a remote. So you can hit the button at weekends roll over and go back to sleep
Disadvantage is it loses the settings on a power cut. And the FM tuner is noisy, even with a big signal.

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:50:12 +0100, harrogate wrote

You'd like my clock radio :)
--
Patrick

at 25-30 quid the 100yd reel at not-taking-the-Micheal-on-price places.

slightly lower attenuation losses over distance, more often used for distribution feeds in bigger installations (e.g. for piping sat TV signals or cable-TV feeds round a block of flats); there's CT167 and CT233 sizes which continue the trend upwards in diameter and lower losses. All of these more exotic sizes share the same design impedance as CT100 - 75 ohm; but because they're sold in much lower quantity than CT100, you pay a b-i-g price hike for them over the CT100 (a bit like the hike in 4mmsq mains cable compared to 2.5mmsq!). For a domestic installation with "normal" lengths of cabling, you don't need anything beyond CT100, and it gets harder - indeed impossible! - to get coax plugs and sockets to mount neatly to the larger sizes.
HTH, Stefek

It might or might not be. CT100 has a defined construction and RF specification. Various other cables purport to be the same and may or may not be. Some of the cheap ones sold as satellite cable may have inferior screening or mechanical construction or may have worse than spec. losses at high frequencies.
Whether this particular cable is OK is hard to know. To be able to tell that,you would need to know the losses at various frequencies and compare them to the real thing and Maplin don't seem to publish that data. As a comparison, RS have a Raydex CT100 for 44 for 100m and CPC have one for 19.60 for 50m - i.e. almost twice the Maplin price. Both of these appear to follow the official specs.

This sounds like a copy of CT125, basically a lower loss cable. Again you would pay just under twice Maplin prices for the official stuff. The cable diameter is about 8mm rather than 6mm.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 0:30:56 +0100, Andy Hall wrote

Thank you for this. I will look at the CPC and RS cables you mention. I've had a chat with Ron Smith (of Ron Smith aerials) and as it happens he has said exactly the same as you.
--
Patrick

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Caveat emptor: in the early days of their digital service $ky had a lot of problems caused by inferior cables so they initiated an in-house testing & approval scheme. The rest of the antenna installation / signal distribution industry wanted to jump on the bandwagon, so administration of the 'cable benchmarking' scheme, as it's called, has since been taken over by the CAI.
Cables are tested to BS EN 50117-2 and the manufacturers or importers of those that pass are awarded a certificate and approval no. - the latter being marked on the cable.

Ask them whether it's CAI benchmarked cable (and the certificate number). If the answer is "no" then "barge pole" applies.

There's a lot more to it than that: e.g. return loss (impedance accuracy), screening factor, ability to withstand a bending test without deterioration, et., etc.
FWIW my personal preference is for the foam dielectric cables, since they handle better then, and don't 'conduct water' like the cellular air-spaced products. Webro 'WF100' is good.
--
Andy

That seems from the description on the Maplin site to be much the same thing and the price is about what I'd expect, though it can be got cheaper then that if you can find an aerial wholesaler. Could also try www.cpc.co.uk.
--
Tony Sayer