FM Aerial installation Q's

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 0:30:56 +0100, Andy Hall wrote (in message ):

Thank you for this. I will look at the CPC and RS cables you mention. I've had a chat with Ron Smith (of Ron Smith aerials) and as it happens he has said exactly the same as you.

Reply to
PJ

Hmm. OK. Which one? Does it have timer functions? That could be a good solution.

I have a Linn Classik which I use in the kitchen and conservatory. I wouldn't use it as a main hi-fi system, but the tuner and CD player are good and the packaging fits the application.

Actually that's my other great love, as I think about it, although generally I listen to it in the car.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

as memorably explicated by the (then) young Mr Danny Thompson acting as disreputable company to the guitar-genius and soak whose stage name is John Martyn on the "Live at Leeds" album ;-)

ob.d-i-y: well, it's a genuine *live* album, so they were "doing it themselves" (echoplex notwithstanding) rather'n all post-produced...

Stefek

Reply to
stefek.zaba

Umm. (rushes into bedroom to look) Sony EMT-CP303.

halfway decent speakers, clock alarm radio, CD player and cassette tape built on, and about 70-90 squids - probably oboslete now, but there is generally a clock/radio chepo sony 'hifi' in Dixons of one sort or anoher.

Advantge to this one is it sits across the room., but has a remote. So you can hit the button at weekends roll over and go back to sleep

Disadvantage is it loses the settings on a power cut. And the FM tuner is noisy, even with a big signal.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , Colin Blackburn writes

If you can use F type then do so IMHO there a better connector..

Independent connections are best but really there sod all difference unless your signals are really weak..

Reply to
tony sayer

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:03:35 +0100, Colin Blackburn wrote (in message ):

I was going to ask that :(

I had a look at some CT100 today and it looked like it would take the "usual" type of connector okay, but I defer to Tony Sayer's reply. I'm going to use F type connectors throughout myself except where I have to use the "usual" type such as my tuner. The F type connector seems a lot more secure to me.

Reply to
PJ

If you have a lot of them to do, it's worth buying the crimping tool - you can get better results with the connectors and they are cheaper as well.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Caveat emptor: in the early days of their digital service $ky had a lot of problems caused by inferior cables so they initiated an in-house testing & approval scheme. The rest of the antenna installation / signal distribution industry wanted to jump on the bandwagon, so administration of the 'cable benchmarking' scheme, as it's called, has since been taken over by the CAI.

Cables are tested to BS EN 50117-2 and the manufacturers or importers of those that pass are awarded a certificate and approval no. - the latter being marked on the cable.

Ask them whether it's CAI benchmarked cable (and the certificate number). If the answer is "no" then "barge pole" applies.

There's a lot more to it than that: e.g. return loss (impedance accuracy), screening factor, ability to withstand a bending test without deterioration, et., etc.

FWIW my personal preference is for the foam dielectric cables, since they handle better then, and don't 'conduct water' like the cellular air-spaced products. Webro 'WF100' is good.

Reply to
Andy Wade