Flying carpet...

...well actually, a moving door mat.

Just inside the front door we have a door mat, but the little bugger keeps moving around & drives us mad!

It's rubber backed on thickish carpet with underlay.

Tried the rubber non slip rubbery mesh to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Nails, or a similar fixing of your choice. That is about the only thing that will stop it moving in the direction of the nap of the carpet. Alternatively, cut back the carpet and insert a door mat well.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Not sure how to answer that!

A few months ago I asked a similar question - and had a number of useful responses. Went to a local independent carpet shop for something else, saw some heavy anti-move material, bought some.

Worked for both mother (who has a lovely rug which kept moving over the fitted carpet) and the off-cuts are doing a great job for us. Not certain how well it would work under a rubber-backed mat, but it might be fine. I was deeply sceptical but, other than wondering how long it will last, do now believe it works.

The problem, however, lies in telling you what it is! It is around a metre wide, looks like most other non-woven material. Colour is a mixture of white and black in what looks like it should be a pattern but you can never identify any regularity - maybe it is random? It is thicker than other such products I have seen. Feels very sticky to touch. Appears to be exactly the same as John Lewis sell in pre-cut pieces - but was a bit less expensive.

Reply to
polygonum

On 11/02/2013 09:19, polygonum wrote: Think this is the same stuff:

polygonum

How about some strips of adhesive backed Velcro (the hook bit)?

It should stick to the runbber backing well and grip the carpet.

No damage to the carpet and easily picked up if you need to clean the door mat ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

If it's a suspended floor, recess it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Remove carpet for a metre or two around the door. Tile the exposed floor, leaving an un-tiled rectangle that you fill with a quire mat that you cut to size. This gives a fixed mat and an easy-clean area to walk on before reaching the carpet.

Reply to
unknown

Angle grinder. That's to say, keep your angle grinder on the mat; the weight should stop it moving around. ;-)

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

We had the same problem; this was on a laminated wooden floor. A blob of blue tack sorted it out.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Nail it down?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I was thinking of some mechanical device which the mat sits on and which in turn sits on the carpet and is also secured to the door frame along one side with some removable fasteners or something like that.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Isnt't that called a 'floor'?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Turn it over. That will prevent any flying (aka magic) carpet from taking off.

Reply to
Tim Streater