Fly tipping

I'd just like to thank the fly tipper who left (among other things) sufficient sheets of plywood to mend the roof of my log store. Said repair cost me ... nothing, since I used the aforementioned fly-tipped ply and some roofing felt and nails left over from mending the shed.

Pity they leave so much other useless cr@p. They make me very angry.

I shall vent my spleen by going and cutting some logs to put in the aforementioned log store.

But not now, 'cos it's dark.

Reply to
Huge

I'd keep quiet about , some overzealous official with a target to meet will nick you for moving it without being a licensed waste operator.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

What I'd like to know is how can you identify a site clearance company who is not going to just dump the stuff somewhere else. I only ask as a person I know has had major hassle in that a shed and garage was cleared for a reasonable cost by some very nice blokes about six weeks later, a knock on the door from a council bloke with a copper saying they had traced some fly tipped stuff to his address. Of course the original company did not exactly exist outside of their advertising glossy pamphlets which only gave a mobile number that now was not in existence. So beware. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

That's actually quite easy - check online if their company has a waste transfer license. This is what I did when I had a house clearance done.

Tim Watts

Sounds like reasonable cost = Cheapest Very nice blokes = con men who usually give that appearance or they wouldn't get very far.

Your Friend should have asked to see details of their waste transfer permit and dealing with a business that only gives a mobile no without doing some more checks is naive. While it is commendable that people employ someone to remove their rubbish rather than fly tip themselves those who do not take simple steps to see it is handled responsibly must take some blame for the blight of fly tipping.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

+1 Last week my wife decided to have a clear out of some old, large crap. Mattresses, old beds, armchairs etc. Told to put them outside the house on Thursday for collection on Friday. I humped this lot out on Thursday evening and made as tidy a heap as poss. Even in the twilight it was an eyesore. Council 3.5t pickup arrived @ 07.30 and took it all away. It had been there for less than 12 hours. Today I have received a letter from the same council threatening legal action for fly tipping. I will ignore the letter and let them do their worst. I have all the relevant paperwork including an itemised receipt. Bugrem.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Do let us know what happens!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Reply to
Huge

never leave your address in the rubbish

Reply to
critcher

One time when we had a skip while in a Marina and initially it was a battle to stop others using Much of the waste came from a very large Motor Yacht being refitted Just before it sailed about the largest TV available for the time (latish 90s) was delivered ,I was too busy to stop them dumping the packaging in the skip but got to it soon after and had a rummage. The Yacht was now just off the berth and one of the crew was laughing knowing what he had done but the smile left his mug when I held up a poly bag in which there some cables ,and a remote control and various documents. "You might need this " I said throwing the package towards him, but then I was never any good at Cricket and it fell into the water. A lovely Schadenfreude moment,

Reading the packaging the set had been imported specially and was a Fujitsu and about 42" and cost a few thousand dollars.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

We all pay taxes.

Dogs like to rummage around, often in hedgerows out of site. One of ours got hold of a plastic bottle and wanted me to throw it for her yesterday. I'm glad she didn't puncture it with her teeth. I couldn't identify the contents but it was a colourless liquid with a funny smell.

Good point. They shouldn't do that. It's just stupid.

Oh there'll always be some silly sod who does it, that's why I suggest draconian penalties.

But the councils were forced to charge because of the cost to them of Landfill Tax.

That needs to be put right.

For the reasons given.

Yes but nothing like what we have now. And the penalties were low in those days, and detection almost non-existent.

It would. They'd be dead.

They'd think twice if there was a three month driving ban attached.

Finger prints. DNA from saliva.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Just think that through will you?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

No it isn't perfect. It's the opposite of perfect. It couldn't be implemented. Small businesses can't use large vehicles? Ha!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I saw an article this week that Pembroke Council are moving residents to

3 weeks between collections - on top of the now strict recycling .. and only 3 black bags per collection.

That to me will increase fly infestation ... and encourage fly tipping

Reply to
rick

They weren't - ours (and the neighbouring council's are both still free.

Reply to
JoeJoe

It would help if the council's and their chosen subcontractors didn't behave as if we're all trying to run waste disposal businesses on the side by throwing it in our waste bins. Consumption is through the roof and the waste is a side effect. Ideally people would consume less but they're just not going to so why fight it.

I would bring in laws to have council officials flogged for coming up with the most ridiculous rules and regs - not taking recyclables from a cardboard box instead of the mandated green one that's been pinched; not emptying a bin because the lid is raised by 1.25mm; etc.

Reply to
Scott M

That sort of attitude is very much part of the problem. It appears to be pr esent throughout the disposal system.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I presume it's driven by budgets and costs since waste gets sub-contracted out; the companies run want to do the least possible for the most money and package it as "being green." I always think they must loathe being forced to run recycling centres on the back of getting the bin contract.

The next distract (I'm on a border between two) is particularly bizarre. Certain tips are only open certain days and, on a Sunday, do something crazy like 7.30am - 1pm.

Reply to
Scott M

The LA here built a snazzy new recycling centre, ramps all around so you chuck stuff down into the relevant skip, then they outsourced it, then it closed earlier in winter, then it closed some days of the week in winter, now it closes some days of the week all-year round, and charges for disposal of some types of materials.

Thankfully we do still get weekly emptying of rubbish and recycling wheelie bins.

Reply to
Andy Burns

One of our local tips has parking bays that are slightly angled, end-on to the disposal areas. Quite logical, except they are too short for a car and trailer. You either have to leave the nose of the car sticking out and blocking the way past for anyone else or have the back of the trailer (only a 5-footer in my case) overhanging the walkway - and then the staff have a go at you for infringing upon the walkway.

Why some idiot decided on that arrangement and didn't consider that even with small amounts of waste, people may want to use a trailer to avoid messing up their car, I don't know. Especially as there is enough space to make the bays 10 feet longer within the existing site boundaries.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker