Fly screen solution ...

I didn't give any real clues to her age .. sri ..

That's spooky Owain (you are obviously a parent ).

I think it was yesterday she asked us again re having candles (or joss sticks) in her room. We explained the risks (again) and added that we may reconsider when she stops leaving her phone / sunglasses / bag various places or can make toast without burning it .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well, that was sorta part of the 'bigger picture' re me question. If there was a real easy, cheap, functional soution it might be worth making her more comfortable (cooler / less stressed)?

Everyone gets the odd creepy crawly through the window and big

True ..

I'd be more concerned as to why this has become such a

I think in her case wasps. From memory she has been stung by them at least twice in her life so far (for no *apparent* reason to *us*) one of which was on the lip.

Our two kids (now teenagers) always had a small window open and

We generally don't leave windows open because of the noise and pollution ;-(

If you child is very scared of creepy crawlies then

Oh indeed. We have done the insect house and had the tarantular on the hand at the local mini zoo stuff .. and she willl even usher stag beetles to safety but I don't think that's the issue. I'm pretty sure it's not a phobia just with her (current) long wild hair I think she's concerened re wasps (in particular) getting caught up it in?

I think it's mainly when something flies close to her head / face she tends to react a bit .. mind you, *I* had a moment the other day when this pretty large spider ran out from under something .. ! I did collect it and put it outside (in a box, not by hand like the missus does ..). It's not that I can't .. I'd just prefer not to when they are that big!

But then our daughter is happy to hold a starfish in the palm of her hand and isn't bothered by dogs etc ... but they don't tend to get in the window that often .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

How about something like this - a wedge-shaped wire frame on the outside from the hinge to the sill, to support netting that's attached to the frame and the casement so that when fully open or closed the mesh is stretched tight. You could do a mini version for inside the top too.

| |\\ | \ \ | \ \ | \ \ | \ \ | \ | \ |_______\

Reply to
Rob Morley

Yebbut nobbut cos we only did it once like and that was a joke ...

Joss sticks and candles are magnets to buzzy insects. The flickering light attracts them.

In 2002 in the UK there were 2,000 candle fires resulting in 19 deaths and more than 800 injuries (ODPM fire statistics)

Owain

So why aren't they regulated?

It's a disgrace..... ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

That was a version of one of my phases Rob ;-)

I looked yesterday and I think the top gap will still get encompased in the overall 'wedge' ok .. (because of the frame etc).

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Perfick! .. as long as I don't make the fly screen ..

Dad likes burning candles .. can't think I've ever felt the need (apart from emergency lighting but then probably used battery / inverter / lamp) ;-)

But then I'm not 'romantic' ...

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not the way I'm thinking of it - the mesh doesn't go right across the window, just along the gaps between the casement and the frame. The wire stops the mesh from getting trapped when you close the casement.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Ah, sorry Rob, I re read it and now see what you meant.

So, if done neatly would have little impact on the light, ventilation or ease of use of the window and if the strips along one facet were 'rippable' would still open completely if needed as a fire escape ;-)

Nice solution ;-)

I would probably need to remove the existing roller blind but I think she mentioned that she would be happy to see that go so that's win - win ;-)

I'll have a closer look at the casement and opener and see where fixings could be made etc.

All the best and thanks again ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Sticky-backed velcro :-) The wire frame could just be stitched to the mesh.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Hi,

What sort of roller blind is it, a blackout blind? If not the bugs are probably attracted to the light from the room.

If you can arrange it so there is some airflow without a line of sight to the light in the room it should cut down on visiting bugs.

cheers, Pete.

PS safest way to burn candles is as a tea light in a lantern.

Reply to
Pete C

No it's not really and that is partly why I would be happy to see it go for her (never really dark in in there when the sun's up .. nothing to do with her being a Goth / Vampire etc) .. ;-)

I'm sure it's 'reasonable' from a bugs point of view as the blind pulls down inside the reveal and it's bigger than the window frame on all sides. Not light tight but not an open invite either ..?

Ok, good tip and thanks .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Sounds something like a bellows arrangement. The wire(s) maintain the window frame profile even when the window is not fully open.

Reply to
DJC

No, bugs will head straight for the window/blind then find their way to the edge somehow.

It's not bugs I mind, just when they get caught and squashed in the blind >:(

If you can get some blackout material (v gothic) try hanging a wide piece from the ceiling spaced away from the window, should allow ventilation while stopping light loving bugs from getting in.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C