Flushing cast iron radiators

Hi folks,

No posts from me for ages now that I'm employed again and living in Cambs during the week......

Couple of weeks ago we discovered most of our reclaimed cast iron radiators are cold at the bottom so they're obviously suffering from sludge - we'd never checked them before installation 3-5 years ago......hey ho.

The system is sealed so we're looking at options for flushing, and having seen these power flushers you can hire for a few quid I guess I'll be doing that next weekend. There's 2 types that I can see (or they might be the same but with different converting options), one that goes in place of the boiler pump to do the whole system and one that fastens between the radiator tails to do one radiator at a time.

For an example go to

and feed 51610 into the search box.

Anyone got experience of these things? Or has a better way of flushing that doesn't involve carting them outside :)

cheers!

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

Hosepipe + wet-dry vac, and the power of prayer?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

not necessarily.

that doesn't involve carting them outside :)

hosepipe. But whatever you use to stick the water in, you either provide an effective drain pipe or remove rad and take outside.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

What else could it be? Something has to be stopping the hot water from circulating through the bottom pipe of the radiator doesn't it?

We're in the process of finding out how this 'super' pump solution does just that.....

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy