Flushing a central heating system FAQ

Can someone point me in the right direction to find the FAQ concerning a central heating system please.

I have searched, but there are so many posts by Andy, that I am struggling to find this FAQ.

I have a really bunged up system.

Just found out that previous owner did NOT use any inhibitor.

It is a combi system.

My plan is (without Andy's FAQ) is to remove and flush each radiator. refill system turning on one radiator at a time with boiler running at full steam for 5 minutes each then draining and refilling a few times then adding cleanser. Leave a week then drain and fill several times followed by adding inhibitor.

Is this correct?

Steve..

Reply to
steve

Good plan, but don't forget to take very adequate precautions not to spill anything. It stains. I use foil containers or cat litter trays under each end of a radiator, put plastic sheet and newspaper down and then fit a little plastic bag with a rubber band over each radiator tail before taking radiator outside.

I assume that the system is pressurised? Another good thing to do is to flush some water out at each radiator valve while the radiator is removed. This should remove a fair amount of the crud from the pipework as well.

You may also want to consider fitting a strainer on the return into the boiler so that when you are circulating cleanser etc. any bits of crud coming through will be caught by it and not go into the boiler.

That's pretty much it......

Reply to
Andy Hall

I haven't come across the strainer idea before but it is hell of a good one. What is the kit that is needed?

Reply to
John

Regarding flood control measures: I use a wet/dry vacuum cleaner to catch the water when removing rads. Much easier than endless shallow and wobbly little trays.

HTH

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Article 7533 (one example)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks. I will be doing this job one day this coming week.

Nice idea about the strainer too, so I will also be getting one of those.

I am also planning to install a water softener within the next few weeks, so that should also help as I live in a hard to very hard water area.

Salt water softener!

Steve..

Reply to
steve

One more thing.

Regarding the y shaped filter, I assume by openening the valve whilst in normal use, any gunge will come out?

Is there not a chance that even doing that will leave the filter bunged up, thus reducing the flow?

Steve..

Steve.

Reply to
steve

It would be good if there was some sort of transparent bowl type filter (like those things on air lines) so that you could see the state of the water and see the filter.

Reply to
John

Yes, and so will water from the system.

If you plan to undo the strainer, it either means draining the system, or you could put a full bore isolating valve each side.

If that's happening, then more cleaning is needed or you didn't use inhibitor after you cleaned.

Once the system is clean, then there should be relatively little circulating crud.

The point is that you don't want it ending up in the boiler.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks again.

Steve..