Flush saver id

My new house has a cistern with some sort of flush saver valve, in line, with a swivelling tap on top to presumably allow the water flow to be directed so as not to make a splashing sound.

I can't id it (via google) and don't know if and how to adjust it. However good an idea it might be having to wait 20mins before being able to flush again is not going to work well with forthcoming visitors this Christmas.

Reply to
AnthonyL

A picture would help.

Reply to
ss

20 minutes is too slow to be correct for any valve. What's your mains water pressure like? Is your cistern mains fed or from a loft tank? (Turning off you mains and flushing your toilet will help you differentiate if you're not sure).

It may be that your cistern is gravity fed but a mains flow restrictor has been left in situ in the inlet. Removing the restrictor (if present) will help greatly.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Here you are:

AnthonyL

Plumbing here is a bit weird - water pressure is great, ie kitchen tap, shower in the utility, but some bits are fed from a tank upstairs. I think it is the same supply that won't drive the electric shower (bungalow so not much head anyway).

Bit wary of doing too much messing with Xmas so near - something breaks and no-one to call out, but thanks for the tips.

Reply to
AnthonyL

snipped-for-privacy@please.invalid (AnthonyL) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Is there a partly closed isolator valve - perhaps someone partly closed it to make it quieter. Alternatively - if it is a gravity fed cistern then the ball valve should have a low pressure nozzle fitted.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

DerbyBorn

The swivelling "tap" doesn't control fill rate, it just directs the flow. It may well be that it's gravity fed and got a HP restrictor. First thing I'd do is take it apart (just unscrew the large "collar" - after turning the water off) and check for any grit in the valve.

If there is a flow restrictor it's usually a corkscrew arrangement in the inlet pipe. How easy this is to access depends on your plumbing. Of course, it may just be that an under-cistern stop valve isn't fully open. Don't forget to check that! ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The diaphragm can harden and develop a preference for remaining fairly closed. The water pressure may not push it fully open. Replace the diaphragm:

DerbyBorn

Many thanks - looks like this is likely to be the issue, and thanks for the pdf link.

I'll clarify an earlier posting error - this loo is in the utility room next to the shower all high pressure and takes ages to fill. I haven't yet found a way to cut off the water to the utility room which contains toilet, shower, washbasin, sink and boiler.

We have another loo which is in the main bathroom with the old fashioned restrictor and I think all low pressure and also takes ages to fill. The water stop c*ck tap (old fashion type) is jammed so at the moment if I turn it the whole handle part starts to come undone. The electric shower in this bathroom just reports "low pressure".

Reply to
AnthonyL

That's a standard Delchem ball valve, I've never come across one with a restrictor in the inlet. It could have a HP instead of a LP nozzle. One's red, one's white - can't recall which is which.

I'd agree with checking any service valve or stopcock.

Reply to
David Lang

Try plenty of WD40 down the spindle. Hold the "whole handle part" tight with a pair of grips or something whilst trying to turn the tap. If that comes out yer gonna get very very wet. I'd go first for turning off rather than turning on. This as the stop c*ck may actually be turned on.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

In message , DerbyBorn writes

Hey, that's the type of installation we have here and the plastic arm that holds the float isn't in a wide enough space, so it either scrapes on the central part or the float scrapes on the cistern wall. This was a repair done by a plumber who fitted the whole unit. The previous flush had a bendable metal rod as shown in the video. Can you buy these with fittings to fit that unit?

Reply to
Bill