Fluorescent tubes - orientation

Is it OK to put fluorescent lights at right angles to each other? I have in the back of my mind, from years ago, that there were some problems associated with this?

Many thanks, Roy

Reply to
RzB

Are you backlighting a crucifix?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

of course

Reply to
meow2222

Depends if you are planning to wear a white gown and hood.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

In my (well, Gromit's) vet's waiting room there are two lamps like that, and seem to be ok after lotsa years.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Sort of 'Cross lighting' rather than cross dressing, you mean?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

There's a church at The Oval in South London where they have a cross made out of two fluorescents and given that it looks difficult to get at to service probably means not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Could be that it was an issue with older tubes that contained significantly more mercury than modern ones, so this may be the origin of your memories of problems.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Hmmm.

From memory possibly something to do with mounting then vertically shortening the life span.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

If it does, then not by much. I've got a pair either side of a mirror and they've lasted forever. Just as well as they're now an obsolete size.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hmmm....

In retrospect I really asked for that didn't I :-)

Thanks for the smile anyway...

Roy

Reply to
RzB