Fluorescent striplight for kitchen

My mother has just moved into a new house and wants a Fluorescent striplight fitted in the kitchen which measures about 3x4m to replace the nasty halogen things. (her words).

Could anyone advise on the size and wattage needed in a room the size, also cheapest online source would be helpful. Thanks in advance

F-Red

Reply to
F-Red

How intelligent. My mum did the opposite: guess who is the one who changes the bulbs.

My kitchen is U-shaped 2.7 x 2.6 and I've got 2 x 1.5m single tubes each roughly aligned with the front of the worktops either side of the U. This means you don't create a shadow on the worktop when you're standing at it.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Wattage depends on the colour of the room - pastel colours require less than dark ones. It also makes a difference which type of tubes you use - the most efficient tend to look pretty horrid for domestic use.

TLC is on average decent value.

I'd guess at a twin 5 ft as a starting point for a kitchen of that size with light painted walls and ceiling.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Whilst a fan of fluorescent lighting in general, I would probably find ceiling mounted strip lighting to be a bit industrial for domestic use.

Personally, I use a number of slimline strip lights behind pelmets (4x16W +

1x30W) and a couple of flush mounted ceiling fittings (2x20W). This gives plenty of light where you need it, without the office block/factory look.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Tony Bryer

Thanks for the replies Mother being of the female breed has dispensed with any discussion and bought a 58w fitting from B&Q.

And now wants it fitted ASAP ;-(

Fred

Reply to
F-Red