Fluorescent light tube starter

About to change the starter in a fluorecent light fitting which has a 6 foot 75-85W tube.. Maplins sell 2 types of starters (65W & 125W). I wasn't sure which to get but the assistant said the 125W is the one fitted with 6 and 8 foot tubes. They're pretty cheap so I bought both types anyway.

I tried the 125W starter but the light takes a good 15 to 20 seconds before it even flickers and comes on. I then tried the 65W starter and it works fine and comes on instantly. Is it ok to stick with the 65W?

Reply to
Mark

Your fitting is rated at, between 75 - 85 Watts, so the 65 Watt starter is only faster because you've over loading it.

Reply to
BigWallop

Sounds like that to me too. Surely one can fit higher rated starters to lower rated lamps? Could be there's a problem with the 125W rated starter or lamp.

Reply to
BillR

I've just had a quick look on the web and see you can buy a starter rated between 4 to 80w which is probably the one I need.

Reply to
Mark

In article , Mark writes

If you are concerned about flickering/delay then Maplin do an electronic one which will start faster, without flickering and has a rating span of

30-125W. Costs about a fiver.
Reply to
fred

electronic

Sorted it now. I also have a smaller 38w tube light fitting and that was fitted with a 4W - 80W starter. I put the new 65w starter in that and used the 80w starter in the 75w light fitting. Everything's working fine :)

Reply to
Mark

Hi. Using a 65w starter in an 80w fitting works fine. The implications are concerning guarantees, legal obligations etc, but functionally they're quite happy.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton