Fluorescent light tube starter

About to change the starter in a fluorecent light fitting which has a 6 foot 75-85W tube.. Maplins sell 2 types of starters (65W & 125W). I wasn't sure which to get but the assistant said the 125W is the one fitted with 6 and 8 foot tubes. They're pretty cheap so I bought both types anyway.
I tried the 125W starter but the light takes a good 15 to 20 seconds before it even flickers and comes on. I then tried the 65W starter and it works fine and comes on instantly. Is it ok to stick with the 65W?

Your fitting is rated at, between 75 - 85 Watts, so the 65 Watt starter is only faster because you've over loading it.
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

BigWallop wrote:

Sounds like that to me too. Surely one can fit higher rated starters to lower rated lamps? Could be there's a problem with the 125W rated starter or lamp.

I've just had a quick look on the web and see you can buy a starter rated between 4 to 80w which is probably the one I need.

If you are concerned about flickering/delay then Maplin do an electronic one which will start faster, without flickering and has a rating span of 30-125W. Costs about a fiver.
--
fred

electronic
of
Sorted it now. I also have a smaller 38w tube light fitting and that was fitted with a 4W - 80W starter. I put the new 65w starter in that and used the 80w starter in the 75w light fitting. Everything's working fine :)

Hi. Using a 65w starter in an 80w fitting works fine. The implications are concerning guarantees, legal obligations etc, but functionally they're quite happy.
Regards, NT