Fluorescent Light Tripping RCD

Hi, hoping someone can give me some advice or ideas. Currently have a fluorescent light in the garage that is more than occasionally tripping the RCD in the main house consumer unit. There is a seperate CU in the garage that is then connected to the CU in the house. Happens more frequently when damp, ie when garage was flooded earlier this year!

So my question is for any suggestions how to prevent the RCD being tripped?

Thanks

Reply to
DrunkDuck

Replace the luminaire. Well possibly you could replace the control gear - i.e. the choke ballast, if it's a switch start fitting - but fluorescent batten fittings are so cheap these days it's not worth messing about.

I suppose the problem /could/ lie elsewhere -- but unlikely, perhaps.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Get a periodic inspection report done on the installation. (You'll probably need to pay someone for this, as the fact that you are asking the question hints that you won't have the equipment and experience). This should tell you if there are any insulation leakage issues in the wiring. If this doesn't come up with anything, replace the control gear in the light fitting. They only cost a couple of quid and you can upgrade to a decent electronic ballast.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Remove dampness.

Replace luminaire, accessories and cabling with luminaire, accessories and cabling suitable for damp environment.

Owain

Reply to
Owain