Flue siting regulations.

Just had a visit from a plumber to quote for new boiler. He ruled out the location where I was planning to put it, under a single story pitched roof with vent through the roof. He said that the latest regulations say it's got to be 2 metres from a boundary (boiler would be on party wall so no chance with Worcester 35 Cdi as planned) and that the window above the roof is too close. 2002 building regs say a fanned flue doesn't have to be more than 300mm from a boundary or a window, even 600mm should be achievable so I'm a bit perplexed where he's got these distances from. Anyone have any ideas? The only real alternative location is in the loft and I'm a bit concerned about the noise and long DHW pipe run.

w w window My scuppered plan w w \ sill \ I / \ I__ III terminal ----- III ----- III --III III----- III ----- III ----- Roof III ----- III III ----------- I I I boiler I I I

Reply to
Kevin Chambers

Get another plumber. He would never get the job in my house. It is 4m wide, so presumably he thinks that all gas boilers appliances are banned in Victorian terraces, as there is not a single point anywhere on the property more than 2m from a boundary.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Where does he get the 2m from?

table for diagram 3.4 says its 600mm when facing the boundary (dimension J) Get another plumber.

Reply to
BillR

Get a registered gas fitter :-)

BS5440-1:2000 recommends (not mandates) that fanned flues should be 2m or more from openings (doors & windows) of neighbouring properties. I think in the BS it also mandates that in siting flues you should plan on the basis that the neigbours might build an extension which invalidates your original siting.

I'd put it as far from the boundary as possible since if the neighbours do a loft conversion (as you seem to have done - ?) it'd be a nuisance to them, but if it's OK for the clearance specified in the regs* from your own window any nuisance you cause to yourselves is something you have to live with.

  • the AD seems to be derived from the BS

hth

-- John Stumbles

-+ Cannibalize Legalists

Reply to
John Stumbles

AIUI the 2 metre rule is applied with horizontal discharge flues which "blow" towards the boundary. The use of high efficiency boilers often gives rise to pluming (visible water vapour sometimes described as steam) which can and does upset neighbours. Litigation often results from sensetive neighbours in these cases which is not one of the plus factors for condensing boilers of course! I can't see a vertical discharge flue from a CDi giving rise to complaints and unless it is really likely to giver rise to products of combustion entering a window it would be worth further investigation.

Reply to
John