Flow restrictors

I have just had a new combi boiler fitted, so my bathroom water is now at mains pressure.

My basin taps are Monobloc, Ceramic disc, Dualflow, Dual control. To prevent water splashing everywhere due to the very high flow rates I have to only slightly open them (a fraction of a turn). The problem is I now get a horrible high pitched noise from the taps when they are only slightly opened (goes away when opened more fully). When I suggested fitting isolating valves and partially closing them, the plumber said I would get a similar noise from the valve instead.

Are there inline flow reducing valves that won't make this noise? If so, does anyone recommend any particular make?

Thanks, Darren.

Reply to
Darren

Just go and buy some quarter-turn in-line valves for the pipes. They will act as isolators to remove the taps as well as flow restrictors.

EricP

perhaps, but likely not. If you want to get the most silence, put the valves under the floorboards and put pipe lagging over as much of the pipe and valve down there as possible. Lagging acts as acoustic damping. The heavier the lagging the better.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

perhaps, but likely not. If you want to get the most silence, put the valves under the floorboards and put pipe lagging over as much of the pipe and valve down there as possible. Lagging acts as acoustic damping. The heavier the lagging the better.

Another option is to remove tap from pipe and insert some potable rod in the pipe. Restriction over a longer length is far less prone to generating any noise. Maybe a bit of microbore, squashed at one end.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

My experience has been the opposite and turning down the isolators is usually effective.

However, you should also check your mains static pressure. You may be in need of a pressure reducing valve if the input pressure is much above 3 bar. Once you start geting around 5 or 6 bar, plumbing starts to get really quite noisy and unmanageable.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Sorry, can clarify, are you saying isolators do or don't make noise.

Darren

Reply to
Darren

Sorry, can clarify, are you saying isolators do or don't make noise.

Darren

Reply to
Darren

They don't make noise. If they do make a noise, it will be a fraction of the volume. YMMV. etc.

In any case, you should have isolators anyway.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle