Flow restrictor?

*I* know what you mean Roger but not the clearest of explanations!

As you say, the service valve in the photo won't have a restrictor. It is, by design, quite a good restrictor for gravity fed systems. It should be replaced with a full bore valve.

The ball c*ck/cistern filling valve *may* have a flow restrictor on the inlet which will be as you describe. If there is one in the cistern valve inlet it should be removed.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Is that how you refer to people who can read?

slow and silent...

there fixed it for you.

Reply to
John Rumm

I didn't know there were any left. You still use them where you are? Blue ring round you arse jobs?

Reply to
harryagain

I can see you have a comprehension problem. The OP did not say the toilet was fed from the tank. If it is, the problem is likely he has a high (mains) pressure jet in his float valve in the WC tank. In days of yore all float valves came with high and low pressure jets, you fitted the appropriate one.

You could drill out a high pressure jey to convert it. The hole would be around 4 or 5mm in a low pressure jet. Around 2mm in a high pressure jet.

Reply to
harryagain

They were fast and silent. The hole in the jet in the float valve was bigger for the low pressure. But not as big as the hole in your head.

Two jets were supplied with float valve in days of yore. For mains pressure and for tanks.

Reply to
harryagain

Why on earth would he mention that tank and that it was about five feet higher if the WC cistern is mains-fed? A very reasonable inference is that it is tank-fed.

Reply to
polygonum

It is.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

Then you likely have a high pressure jet in your WC float valve, (assumng it's a traditional one)

You don't see low pressure jets so much these days. It can be carefully drilled out as per previous posting.

Reply to
harryagain

It's a service valve, the hole through the valve is about 6 or 8mm, it restricts the flow but shouldn't cause a problem. The float valve is more likely the problem if filling is excessively slow.

I looked at a problem (flow to wash-basin had slowed to a trickle) involving those. There was no lid on the water storage tank in the loft and draughts had blown bits of mineral fibre insulation into the water. The insulation fibres accumulated in the holes of the service valves and blocked the flow. Drained tank, removed valves, blow clear, refit. Until the next time. ;-)

Reply to
Onetap

Who was it with the comprehension problem again?

In Richard's second post:

"The cold water tank is only a few feet above though - maybe 5 feet between the water levels."

Reply to
John Rumm

service isolation valve If it worked OK previously take a look at the float valve ... probably sticking or gunged up .... a new Torbeck is cheap enough.

Reply to
Rick Hughes