Floplast "antivac" bottle trap - any secrets ?

In preparation for replacing the basin and washing machine waste pipe outdoors run, for connection into the toilet soil connection, I was delighted to find an "antivac" bottle trap in B&Q ... meaning to do the full job next weekend, I fitted this in preparation - at least I'll stop the washing machine gurgle, I thought to myself.

Now, there is a distinct drain smell in the cloak room ... so clearly something is amiss. Is there any trick with these traps (no instructions on bag) or is it just (a) crap design, or (b) just my luck - faulty ?

Reply to
Jethro

Did you actually fill all the traps with water?

I've used them a number of times, with no problems (don't know what make, but I think they came from BES).

Does the smell come from the AAV?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Look at how the antivac bit works, and you'll never buy another. A biro and a cable tie does the same job. 1 minute for =A33.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

There are no moving parts in this trap. The only difference between it, and the trap it replaced is a hollow tube which runs up through the centre ...

Reply to
Jethro

well I filled the sink, then emptied it again ... and have run water through it ...

yes

Reply to
Jethro

Are you getting positive pressure in the pipe somehow Is the water too low in the trap Is the trap is done up cross threaded Or is there something unusually evil before the trap

NT

Reply to
Tabby

I'm struggling to imagine what you're using. In pictures of a Floplast, I can't see any AAV mechanism, but maybe it's hidden inside?

I found a picture of the AAV's I use

is a moving part in the AAV, which is the one-way air valve diaphram with a post on the bottom to keep it in place. The post sticks out of the bottom of the AAV, and you can see it move up when the valve is sucked open by a vacuum in the pipe.

If the diaphram is missing, then there is no valve and the sewer pipe will be open to the room. You can unscrew the top of the AAV and see if the guts are missing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

it's similar, but it lacks the little bit coming off the horizontal outlet. However, compared to the one I took off, it has a hollow tube

*inside* where the water sits. No valves, no moving parts. I really haven't applied any brainpower, or dusted off my A level physics to work out what's going on ... I just wanted it to work. That said, I have taken it off, and put the old one back. Assuming there's no smell in the next day or two, I've isolated the problem, and will see how it's *supposed* to work. And if I get that far I'll locate my USB cable for the phone, and post some piccies ... my next laptop will have bluetooth ...
Reply to
Jethro

use

> There is a moving part in the AAV, which is the one-way air valve

Well, that is the AAV. Without that, it's just a bottle trap.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel