flooring question

I'm in the process of repairing my utility room floor prior to recarpeting next week

I've laid a thin screed (10 - 25mm) in areas where the old damaged floor has been brought up when I lifted the ceramic tiles & plan to finish off with some floor leveling compound.

The screed was put down 2-3 days ago after sealing & priming the floor with a solution of diluted PVA. The surface of the new screed seems to be slightly powdery ~ is this normal or have I messed up the mix (I put a dollop of FEB PVA into the screed also.

Should I use some concrete hardner/sealer before the leveling compound?

When do you think it will have dried sufficiently to put the leveling compound down?

TIA Mike

Reply to
mj

I'd give it a soaking with 4 water: 1 PVA and allow to dry before the levelling.

Reply to
stuart noble

Cheers Stuart ~ Will give it a go

I owe you one

ATB Mike

Reply to
mj

I'll second that. PVA is essential before levelling to both toughen the surface and stop rapid water absorption from levelling compound, which buggers up its flow and setting characteristics.

I have also found that pouring huge quantities if thickish PVA down screed cracks eventually binds them back together immovably.

Useful stuff, PVA.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher