Flooring my Conservatory (Nightmare)!!

Hi everyone, we have been in our new house for almost a year now an

have just got to the point of laying a tiled floor with underfloo heating (warmup cable) in the conservatory. When pulling up the ol laminate floor we discovered that the sewage inspection cover was unde the floor. Now my thought's are to run the heating cable around th cover but what can I do about tiling it. We are hoping that we ca still use the tiles and underfloor heating as putting any other type o heater will take up valuble space. Any thought's or ideas muc appreciated

-- Alec

Reply to
Alec

I have a cover in my kitchen floor, what we did is

1) ensure cover is of the "airtight variety"

2) board over the whole floor

3) fix down top layer.

The BIG issue is that if it ever blocks, we need a new floor, so far it has not blocked. We also know where the other covers are, so the drainbusters can get to all the pipes without this cover opeining.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

In article , Alec writes

Hi everyone, we have been in our new house for almost a year now and have just

heating (warmup cable) in the

laminate floor we discovered that the

the floor. Now my thought's are to run the

cover but what can I do about tiling it. We are hoping

still use the tiles and underfloor heating as putting any other type of

appreciated.

Reply to
fred

I guess you can also paint the visible metal edge to match the floor, for low visibility.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That's a stupid idea, as well as against Building Regulations. YOU might know there's an inspection chamber under the floor, but how will anyone else?

The best thing to do is to change the fitting inside the chamber to the type with a bolt-down lid, like this:

and then you don't need an airtight cover and you can use a simple recessed cover. But that's probably too much work for a bodger.

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Thats what I have in my conservatory. Double sealed with inset for tiles.. about £20 from Travis Perkins when I bought it.

They look fine and screw down so there is little chance of a leak.

Reply to
dennis

Thanks for the replies. I will get a flush cover to fit the tiles in s

then I can get the cover up and also retain the underfloor heating. No what could I use as a way of lifting the cover with it being tiled

-- Alec

Reply to
Alec

I'm sure you're right Peter, but despite your evident outrage I'm afraid that very few people would wish to have a visible sewer pipe in their kitchen floor. I bought a house where one had been covered, the vendors told me where it was if ever needed and I was perfectly happy with that.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Well, you were lucky then. What would you have done if your drains had blocked one Christmas morning? That's what happened to our neighbours and they DIDN'T know where the manhole was!

And you don't have a "visible sewer pipe" - all you see is the brass or S/S rim of the recessed manhole cover flush with the finished flooring. If you don't like that then you have to do the job properly and relay the drains and move the manhole outside.

I don't think anyone on this ng would suggest bodging the electrics, plumbing or gas, so why is a stupid cheapskate bodge on the drains OK?

Reply to
Peter Taylor