Flooring material Mystery

What I've got are concrete floors screeded over with about an inch of a dull pink stuff. It doesn't appear to be cement/sand based as it is too light. It more like carlite in consistency than cement mortar. The house was constructed in 1948.

I thought if I found out what it is it I can research it further and decide whether I can seal it or rip it up. Not keen on the latter as having done it in one room it reveals quite rough concrete underneath.

Any ideas as to what it might be?

mark

Reply to
Mark

Might possibly be limecrete, or a gypsum based mixture. Unusual either way. Might even contain brick powder. With the construction date being in the austere time after the war there's no knowing what tricks they may have pulled to get it done.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Years ago treated a concrete floor with a Marley product, you put it on like a screed, this had a marble effect, as I was young I will make that an excuse. I was wondering if that is what it is. Might be worth contacting Marley, if they still exist, and asking their advice.

Reply to
Broadback

It is a solid consistent colour, no marble effect.

mark

Reply to
Mark

I'd ask on the forum here:

meow2222

Sounds like hot poured asphalt. Comes in blocks and heated in a tank at the back of a lorry. Poured onto the floor and spread about 1/2" or 10mm thick. One way of telling if it is Asphalt, furniture castors sink in and leave dints, even through carpets..

Reply to
keith_765

It's pink. I've always assumed asphalt was black.

mark

Reply to
Mark

The hot poured stuff that was where I worked was pink

Reply to
dennis

The correct name for the Asphalt is (Rock Asphalt) Black for roofs and either Red, Pink, Brown or Black for floor screeds.

Reply to
keith_765