Flooring in under stairs cupboard...

Since having the floors replaced throughout the ground floor of our house I have not got round to covering up the concrete under the stairs, but now the time has come (or so I have been told).

The original plan was to put floorboards down (wickes french pine) on battens screwed to the floor. This would bring the floor pretty level with the indian stone flagging which it will butt up to at the cupboard entrance.

However, on closer inspection in the corner the concrete seems to be less thick (sounds a bit hollow) than the rest of the floor and the it is a bit uneven and dips half an inch. I doubt the thickness will be an issue for the traffic as we don't even walk on it, but I am a bit reticent to drill into it to fix battens.

Ultimately we just want a half decent looking surface that is fairly level, easy to clean and quick to fit.

If anyone has any suggestions how to approach the floorboards/battening or other floor coverings that would work well I'd be interested to know more.

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

I went for tiles in the downstairs cupboards - quick to do, easy to clean, and I had some left over from doing the kitchen.

Reply to
Grunff

I was thinking about that but with a 1/2 inch dip wouldn't I need self levelling compound and all that?

Ta,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

Use no-more-nails to glue the battens down, packing any uneven ones to give a level surface. Bung floor boards on top.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

You can easily make up half an inch in additional adhesive. While I wouldn't want to do that on a heavy traffic floor, it'll be fine in a cupboard.

Alternatively, just let your tiling follow the dip. If you use small enough tiles (20x20), it'll barely be noticeable.

Reply to
Grunff

Cheers, I'll give it some thought.

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

So don't fix them. Leave the floor floating, it's only an understair cupboard.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Had been thinking about using n-m-n after bedding/levelling the battens on sand & cement bed and letting it go off to get the surfaces to mate but am unsure if this will hold long term (never use n-m-n in this mode before).

Ta,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

Pro'ly the simplest thing to do. I'll ask SWMBO if she minds a bit of a wobble! If I get the skirting on nice and tight to the boards it might not be very noticeable. Ta,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

Chances are it won't move at all, but if you're concerned do as I suggested earlier and glue the battens down... No more nails will work just fine for this application.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Wickes levelling compound is quick and easy to use. Doesn't require anything technical - just mix it up in a bucket, pour it in, and it levels itself.

Don't add more water than the instructions tell you though. DAMHIK, IJK, OK?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

You're persuading me...