Flooring an Attic

Hi there

I need to floor a small attic space. In order to do so I need to put 50mm x

50mm batons down to raise the level above various pipes etc before laying the flooring.

Simple question: Will it make any difference if I put the batons along the joists or at 90 degrees to them? Which would be best/strongest?

Also: What thickness of ply or chipboard should I use as flooring?

Thanks in advance.

xiv

Reply to
louisxiv

I would put the battens directly over the joists for the best support. It's also easier to increase the depth of insulation if you do it this way.

What size are the joists, what is the largest unsupported span, and what are you going to use the space for? If the joists have only been designed to hold the ceiling up, they may not be capable of supporting much additional load. Adding battens *won't* increase their load carrying capacity.

Again, the spec of board depends on what you're going to do with the space. If anything heavy is going in it (providing the joists can cope) then flooring grade chipboard would be the stuff to use (about 18mm?). If you're just storing empty cardboard boxes, you can get some less expensive T&G 'attic' chipboard from some of the sheds.

Reply to
Roger Mills

God I hadn't considered any of that! I've walked on the joists and stored various heavyish boxes on them without disaster (so far!). i shall check the sizes of the joists and come back!

Reply to
louisxiv