floor screeding

gotta do some kitchen floor screeding over an unlevel concrete floor, about

5m x 3m. Any recommendations, hints and tips?
Reply to
tiscali

floor, about

Yes, get a man in !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

To be more constructive, it would help to know how unlevel is unlevel, and what sort of flooring you plan to end up with.

Reply to
rrh

Baten's placed level around the perimiter, fill with screed tamp down well and if necessary work over with a float, prolly not the correct way but worked for me :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

Not sure how to measure the level but I guess it will need about an inch of screed. Seems to be a smooth hump in the middle of the old concrete. Concrete probably 100 years old. Not decided on final finish yet, possibly tiles.

Reply to
tiscali

thanks you make it sound easy!

Reply to
tiscali

Plus mix all the screed EXACTLY the same, and keep it fairly dry. Wet screed cracks and slumps.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

If it's on the floor - don't you want it to slump?

Reply to
Guy King

Nope, nice dry mix for a screed :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

No.

Otherwise you get cracking at any seams and an un level floor.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Possibly stupid question, but presumably 'screed' in this case is not what is sold as 'self-levelling floor screed', in which case what is it? A product? a specific mixture of sand, cement otherstuff etc.?

Reply to
Fitz

1:3 sand cement, dry but not too "crumbly". I take it you know to use a tamping batten from one of the leveled battens to the other and draw the screed back tamping as you go, the floor is then guaranteed level :-) as long as ure batens are level :-)

Steve.

Reply to
Staffbull

Screed is a weak mix of sharp sand and cement and a little water. I think about 4:1 sand/cement

Its main claim to fame is that it is cheap, and holds its shape well on drying.

It's worst features are that it doesn't self level, is weak, and porous.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oops wrong way round 1:3 cement sand, or it would cost you a bomb and crack line hell :-(

Reply to
Staffbull

Oops wrong way round 1:3 cement sand, or it would cost you a bomb and crack line hell :-(

Reply to
Staffbull

I had floor problems when refitting my kitchen, which I ended up bodging to get it finished in the allotted time. However, if I had known about the poor state of the floor before I began, I would have paid a builder to put in a new floor. The builder I was using, for about the same dimensions, quoted me about £400 for a new floor, to modern standards with insulation etc.

Think about it. Paul R

Reply to
Paul R