Floor Sanding Problem

I have previously employed a company to sand a couple of floors in my flat and I wanted them to do the bathroom but after they didnt turn up for an estimate for me I couldnt get in touch and I think they might on holiday as this is a local Trades Fortnight .

I phoned another guy and when he heard it was a long narrow bathroom he said his machine wouldnt fit as it would be too broad .I thought about this and called him again and suggested taking the w/h basin and toilet out ..he then said that he was in London on holiday but said he would get an associate to call which he did and came out tonight .He claimed that the machine he used was about 3 and a half feet broad . He showed me the brochure but from what I saw ( a picture ) it looked nothing like that size . It looked similar to the one the previous company had used ..the normal type you can hire .

Anyone seen such a machine ...I thought he was taking the piss .....I also wondered after he left how they get them up two or three flights of stairs as they must weigh a ton .....He also said that they had a minimum fee of £250....and there is no way I am paying that for a bathroom floor which is 2.3m x .6m along where the bath is and 2.1m x

1.3 where the w/h basin and toilet are .

I'm tempted just to try doing it myself .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B

1 Go to local hire shop. 2 Ask for a Belt Sander with coarse, medium and fine grade belts (A couple of each) and a Palm Sander, with suitable grit papers. 3 Buy a pack of quality face masks suitable for the job and some gloves if required. 4 Go home and knock the ALL nails in the floor down to around 2-3mm under flush. Fill larger gaps in boards with papier mache. 5 Following the instructions from the shop or on the paperwork for the devices sand your floor using the coarse through to fine. 6 Vacuum thoroughly the entire area after (And poss' during) the job and wipe clean with clean turps. 7 Coat said finished floor with a quality floor varnish and leave. Preferably go away for the weekend and let it set. (After all unless you can levitate you ain't gonna use the bog!) 8 When dry stand back and admire your handiwork.

What R said, but buy a random orbit sander with 40, 60, 80 & 120 grit discs. Like this

than a hire.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Mass sanding of floors in domestic premises is normally unnecessary, and sometimes ruins the floor by exposing worm tunnels.

Usually a thorough clean brings them up well, with spot sanding of any black gloop with a handheld. Its also a lot less work.

If you do want to do it, diy sounds good, that area is fairly small.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yawn. Its a flat, probably modern..

Juts get a butch orbital sander and a decent vaccuum and do it yourself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All this looks fine, but how do you sand into the corners?

Reply to
ian

You don't - a suitably placed plant takes care of that :-)

Or a detail sander.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Or do it by hand.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK, so long as I know there's no better way :-))

Reply to
ian

By hand is the best way: It just takes a long time.

We are wedded to power tools: I had t shape a bit of worktop and lacked a suitable router bit. I sawed the oak, planed it and set to with coarse sandpaper. It looks no different to the bits the chippies had used a router on.

And its almost a nicer experience doing it..instead of a noisy screaming power tool and dust everywhere, you stick the radio on or the telly, sit down with a nice cup of coffee and get stick in to a 3 hour session of scraping and sanding. AND lose quite a few calories in the process, and don't end up with numb fingers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It IS a flat as you say but over 100 years old . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B

I already have one and a detail sander as well which will do the corners . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B

"Go home and knock the ALL nails in the floor down to around 2-3mm under flush"

Then: sand floor; spend ages filling the tops of all the nails and sanding filler; dye floor to owner's spec and varnish with three coats; come back next day; drain down central heating; mend pipe with nail stuck through it; refill ch; wait for floor to dry out; start again...

Don't say I didna warn ya.

spamlet