Floor prep for vinyl - hardboard?

Hi Everybody. I've a guy coming to lay some vinyl on my utility room floor in a couple of days. Unfortunately I've just realised the joints in the old chipboard surface are a little less flat than I'd like - in fact one joint is not even over a joist. It doesn't leave me a lot of time, but I foolishly asumed that a fairly newly installed foor would be in good condition! Thus I'm thinking of putting down a hardboard liner to even it up.

Any quick tips before I start?

Reply to
sheeprug

NOT HARDBOARD!!!! .. unless you want, in a few months time, ripples and patches that bobble when you walk over them ...... if you have to, use 4mm ply nailed down with ring shanked nails and seal the joints, or better still, a self levelling compound.

Reply to
Simon

Hardboard needs to be damp when it is laid. It shrinks tight on the tacks when it dries. Laid dry it expands with any moisture and pushes against the other sheets.

You should be OK with filler. Mix up a pot of pollyfilla and use some PVA in the mix. Quality control isn't what it could be with tradesmen working to a price for cowboy investors. If the joints were glued though, the join not over a joist should be OK. If it isn't, hardboard won't help, nor will thin ply.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Polyfilla on the floor? ... good god i think I've heard everything now :-P

Reply to
Simon