floor drains

Hello,

I hear it is fashionable to fit a drain to the bathroom floor. This could be useful if you splash in the bath. How does this work? Do you just use a shower trap in the floor?

I presume it has its own pipe to the soil stack, as otherwise surely it would flood every time you emptied the bath!

Do you make a slight (i.e. unnoticeable) slope of the floor towards the drain?

Thanks.

Reply to
nospam

Perhaps it's become fashionable here.. in most other countries, and especially in the Nordic area, it's been commonplace for decades.

It's only starting to happen here now that people are growing beyond the idea of having carpet on the floor and that it is perfectly possible to create a reliably sealed surface on a wooden floor.

The floor needs to be constructed with appropriate sealing and surface. Normally something similar to a shower trap is used. In some installations, the bath and or shower is sufficiently close to the floor drain that there is simply a pipe from the appliance waste under the floor and leading into the floor drain with no trap at the appliance. A single trap from the floor drain then connects to the soil pipe.

It's also popular in other countries in smaller houses for the laundry equipment to be in one of the bathrooms. Then dirty clothes, the means to clean them and to clean the person are all in one place.

Essentially yes.

Reply to
Andy Hall

See

I used one in a wetroom/shower that needed a level access for disabled use.

Reply to
JohnW

I'm confused about this. Why doesn't the bath water flood up through the drain when the plug is pulled out in this scenario?

Reply to
nospam

'cause the outlet from the floor drain is bigger than the inlet from the bath, thus can handle a larger flow out than in.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Because the exit to the soil pipe via the trap in the floor is larger (typically 75mm) than the pipe from the bath (typically 40mm)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks. I understand now.

Reply to