floor board joints

The floor board ( chipboard) upstairs have gone soft at the joints. house is 1980 vintage. any suggestions as to best cure/ what to do

Reply to
Gary

"Soft" as in crumbly or "soft" as in saggy or bouncy?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Rip it all up and replace it with proper T&G floorboards!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Roger Mills put finger to keyboard:

Even it it's going to be carpeted? That'll cost 5x as much.

Reply to
Scion

What makes T&G floorboards 'proper'? Square edge would be more traditional and is what I have had in every house I have lived in.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

They lock together and are less prone to creaks and drafts - even when they've shrunk a bit.

Also, relative to chipboard, they're susceptible to liquid spills and it's much easier to lift small sections when doing plumbing or wiring.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Depends how extensive the problem is. Sounds like there has been a flood in the past and the water remaining in the cracks has caused the problem. If very extensive, it's likely that flooring grade chipboard was not used but a cheaper grade instead. Flooring grade will stand a small amount of damp/wetness for a short period of time. Ordinary chipboard won't If so, it will have to be replaced. Not easy if it goes under partition walls.

Reply to
harryagain

I've never found creaks a problem with plain edge boards, using traditional floorboard cleats, and the traditional covering of lino or carpet with newspaper underneath stops draughts.

Even easier with plain edge boards.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Plain edged boards are certainly easier to lift. But they need to be very well seasoned so as not to shrink - and such wood is difficult to find these days.

[My previous post should have said "relative to chipboard, they're LESS susceptible to liquid spills . . ]
Reply to
Roger Mills

In Edinburgh T&G is traditional back to at least 1809 - the oldest house I have owned. I've never seen square edge here.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

On 13/11/2013 17:06, Roger Mills wrote: ...

The youngest house I have lived in was built in 1931.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I'm pretty certain that my father's house in Murrayfield, c1900, had square edged boards in what was originally the servants' rooms. The rest probably had T&G - they were polished, too.

Reply to
charles

I have dealt with this problem using a low-viscosity two-pot epoxy resin. First I abraded off any proud areas, then I applied the epoxy. The one I used is a local product called Polymer Liquid Glass - it's just a "thin" resin that soaks into porous wood (also very good for wood with dry-rot). It can be diluted to some extent with meths. There used to be a similar Epiglass product called Evidure.

A few applications of this product made the chipboard as strong as new.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

P.S. You'll still need to stop it from getting wet.

Reply to
Gib Bogle