Floods

Richard

That was about the height of the 'tsunami' wave that 'hit' Whangamata when we were there last February.

We didn't find any views we didn't like on either island!

"Tsunami" *means* "wave".

Reply to
Huge

"Tsunami" means a *series* of waves. According to NZ TV at the time, only *one* miserable specimen reached Whangamata. Hence my use of 'tsunami' rather than tsunami.

To be truly pedantic, "harbour wave"

Reply to
Richard

No. "Tsunami" means "harbour wave".

Reply to
Huge

Wow! Really!?

Reply to
Richard

I have never known Harry to admit that he could be wrong. He just keeps digging the hole deeper.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Make your mind up. It was *wave* earlier today. If you need to be pedantic be at least consistent.

Harbour wave is the literal translation from the Japanese. Tsunami, in non-pedantic use, means a series of waves. As does tidal wave and harbour wave.

Come on, this is NZ. It must be really hard to find real sheep :)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I've not seen live sheep for a few years, but they are around:

Matty F

So New Zealand is an earthquake zone and he lives by the sea. A tsunami could orginate a mile away so giving no warning at all. How is this stupid?

Reply to
harryagain

There are equally good ones in the UK. And no major earthquakes. I have good views over the Malvern Hills. This approximates to my view.

harryagain

Is that so?

harryagain

They only had to cross Hadrians wall to find nicer weather.

Reply to
harryagain

I think Yahoo! just won the most pointlessly long URL award; Lotus Domino eat your heart out.

Reply to
Andy Burns

There is no mention of Auckland at that site. There have never been significant earthquakes or tsunamis in Auckland. There is a possibility of a volcano in the next few hundred years, but we are talking about floods, and there are no rivers in Auckland that flood.

Reply to
Matty F

You still haven't worked out exactly where he lives or understood what lies between him and any potential tsunami have you?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

You're really pretty thick aren't you? Anybody of water could have a tsunami especially in an earthquake zone. Just being part cut off from the ocean is no guarantee of safety.

harryagain

You really don't ever want to admit you could be wrong do you Harry? Tsunamis in lakes need a fault line to run through the lake. There are no fault lines in Auckland Harbour. It is in the area of least shear strain of the whole of New Zealand and will suffer least from the effects if the Alpine fault does let go. The last Alpine fault earthquake is estimated to have been magnitude 8.1 on the Richter scale. A similar earthquake would result in tremors in the region of magnitude

3.5 around Auckland, which will be just noticeable to people sitting on a hard surface or lying down.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar