Floods

you could carry a dove, too.

Reply to
charles

It's Auckland New Zealand. We have plenty of DIYers here but not enough to have our own newsgroup.

Reply to
Matty F

Of course! There are lots of boats here. Here's one of the many marinas in Auckland.

I was going to suggest a floating city, but if each family has their own boat they can avoid noisy neighbours.

Reply to
Matty F

I gave up because he clearly ins't capable of taking the very big hints!

Reply to
Bob Eager

At least one Ministry of Defence building is almost entirely surrounded by what they call an ornamental lake, but which functions a lot like a moat.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Well, you did have a storm surge on 6th December. At Marsden Point, it measured about 6cm:

Apparently, in March 1988, Marsden Point measured a massive storm surge of 60cm.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

s, and a railway line and major roads across the water. A tsunami wave woul d be one inch high when it hits the shore in front of my house.

Marsden Point, is surprisingly, a point. It is exposed to any tsunamis and waves that may come along. The inner Auckland Harbour is protected from big waves by the Coromandel Ra nge up to 2400 feet high, and Rangitoto Island at about 700 feet high, and Motutapu Island, and the Waterfront drive and a railway line across the bay . Any wave would have to fit through the little bridge at the right of my p icture above. I reckon a wave an inch high might reach the shore outside my place.

Reply to
Matty F

I had looked at the map. My point was rather that, during one of the worst rotating storms to hit your area, the storm surge only reached

60cm at one of the most exposed places. That is well short of anything Harry was predicting on the assumption that you live in the UK.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Ah well he will be got by a big tsunami. We had days of warning for the tidalflood. He might have zero warning.

Reply to
harryagain

WTF do all these foreigners want with a UK diy newsgroup? Anyone by the sea is at risk, from tidal surge to tsunami.

Reply to
harryagain

Well, in this case, unlike you, they're enriching the group with their knowledge and expertise.

Which bit of this did you fail to understand?

"Marsden Point, is surprisingly, a point. It is exposed to any tsunamis and waves that may come along. The inner Auckland Harbour is protected from big waves by the Coromandel Range up to 2400 feet high, and Rangitoto Island at about 700 feet high, and Motutapu Island, and the Waterfront drive and a railway line across the bay. Any wave would have to fit through the little bridge at the right of my picture above. I reckon a wave an inch high might reach the shore outside my place."

Even without the protective mountain range, many islands are perfectly safe from tsunamis if they're steep sided (underwater) and in deep waters. Tsunamis need shallowing sea floors for the wave to build in height. Without this, you could easily miss one occurring.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

"harryagain" wrote in message news:l87fcb$8ro$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

It is not my imagination. You *really* are stupid.

Reply to
Richard

Again, if you'd actually read the thread, you'd know..

Reply to
Bob Eager

My ancestors were Scottish and Irish, but they moved to New Zealand. Maybe because the weather is nicer:

Apologies to the OP and those affected by the floods. Many parts of NZ may be affected by a tsunami, particularly the big open bays. I don't live in those bays.

Reply to
Matty F

That image also available with a photoshopped bull instead of 20' tall killer lambs :P

Reply to
Andy Burns

Gotta love tineye...

Reply to
Richard

The sheep look Photoshopped to me. The picture was in this morning's NZ Herald paper.

Reply to
Matty F

That's why I suggested they look 20' tall, probably accounts for how they hyperspaced into the distance when someone pasted in the bull.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have a special method for blow up pictures, and this shows that the sheep are definitely Photoshopped:

I wonder if the Herald realise they paid for a fake picture?

Reply to
Matty F

I wonder if they care.

All Art is fake..