Flooding

Friend built his house on a mound of the (then) maximum flood level, as were several blocks of flats Several years later flood defences were built for the rest of the town, up to that level. A couple of years later, the flood level was less than one brick below the ptop of the defences (which leaked anyway but not too badly!)

Another 18" was added at a cost more than that of the original defences.

I'd never buy anywhere near flood level!

When I moved to one place it was suggested not to buy in certain areas (which had flooded in the previous 10 years). 30 years later they flooded, residents claimed they had never flooded before (in their lifetine perhaps).

I'd never buy anywhere near flood level!

Best flood defence is height above water. Not guaranteed though.

Reply to
<me9

Some of the recent builds in town just have the garage and futility room on the ground floor. Living accomodation above the 300year flood level.

Reply to
<me9

I've regularly seen flooding on a flat and level road some 300ft above the nearest river, nowhere near any other water course and less than

50ft from the ridge of a hill. A mile or so away, in a deep ravine a tiny stream occasionally reaches the top of its banks in really heavy rain but hasn't flooded either the road or any of the adjacent properties in recorded history.

Given the choice you'd automatically choose a house on the hill as being relatively immune to flooding, yet many of the problems seem to be with localised land drainage.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Indeed. Yo are OK on a local hill TOP, but halfway down is bad news..

I used to get water running down the drive off the road, but a deeper gravel drive, a higher house and french drains have fixed that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "MuddyMike" saying something like:

Often, the flood water just comes up through the floor anyway.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Same here - the Severn is right down in the gorge and even the nearest stream is a long way downhill. The only bit of land above us is, near enough, the rather small back garden. There is higher ground not far away but there are saddles between, so water would (and does) shed that way.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Not convinced flood doors or a 1 storey mound would be all that useful against that either tbh

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Interestingly, it's specifically mentioned on the solicitors standard disclosure documents for sale of a house, now.

Reply to
Huge

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember harry saying something like:

in a thousand years, just for effect is all.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

chemists they raised it above the normal flood level, see

it worked

ARWadsworth