flood damage ?

For a 1930's build house, how soon - or would you - expect to see water damage if you get flooding to within an inch of the damp course ? (patio was 4-5" below water approx)

...either to foundations / internal floors which are unlikely to have a damp proof membrane etc.

If not as a one-off, how about on an ongoing basis at least annually now ? (slip / heave etc. - we're in a clay soil area)

If this was a "new" phenomenen caused by the erection of a new building that effectively created a dam against the natural drainage of the land for the proceeding 70 years, who could you claim against ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

I wouldn't expect to see any, based upon the fact that, until fairly recently, that was a normal winter occurence for my 1931 house. The water table regularly came above ground level until they installed pumps in the land drains.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Ta

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I agree with Colin Chris

If, hypothetically, you had suffered loss as a result of someone doing something that caused you a flood, you would be suffering a "nuicance" (water entry) as a result of his activity and in theory could sue him. I would not like to be paying the expert witnesses that you would need to prove causation! He of course, would have recourse to his designer and possibly the local council.... Chris

Reply to
mail