Floating chimney stack

Looking at work needed on my girlfriend's house I found that the chimney st ack over the rear Victorian 'addition' has no support; the breast has been removed from the bathroom and kitchen below but there is no corbelling or o ther support. It seems to rest on the firewall which it straddles. Not sure what the case is on her neighbour's side. I looked at the surveyor's repor t from when she bought the house which noted 'need for ongoing maintenace' but I thought this was much more serious. The roof is tiled and so shallow pitched I am sure there is no support above the ceiling. Should the stack c ome down? If it were cut in two I imagine the remainder might topple into t he neighbour's roof...

Reply to
Peter

I'd go around to the neighbour and explain and see what the situation is. It might stop a nasty incident down the road. However with the winds we have had this year, it cannot be that unstable!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

stack over the rear Victorian 'addition' has no support; the breast has bee n removed from the bathroom and kitchen below but there is no corbelling or other support. It seems to rest on the firewall which it straddles. Not su re what the case is on her neighbour's side. I looked at the surveyor's rep ort from when she bought the house which noted 'need for ongoing maintenace ' but I thought this was much more serious. The roof is tiled and so shallo w pitched I am sure there is no support above the ceiling. Should the stack come down? If it were cut in two I imagine the remainder might topple into the neighbour's roof...

Brickwork is mostly self supporting due to its interlocking pattern. What w ill be unsupported is the small triangle of bricks at the bottom where ther e's no brick under it to hold it up. That can be held up with timber, with steel L brackets etc. For the most part such bits hold themselves up with m ortar alone, but eventually they end up slipping as the mortar deteriorates .

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The biggest risk in a case like this would be in a storm where wind on the stack might bring it crashing though the house. Less so, obviously, if it's a short stack through a ridge.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

why?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Not if it is a chimney stack, i.e. a rectangular structure, supported just under one edge. It *might* have some support from the joist along the "unsupported" edge(s) but it is definitely bad practice to remove a chimney breast without making suitable provision for support. Time to investigate.

Reply to
newshound

Because if you've removed the chimney breast under and not provided any adequate support, the centre of gravity of the stack is possibly sitting very close to the edge of the wall under and so would need very little to push it over. C C C C

Reply to
Tony Bryer

stack over the rear Victorian 'addition' has no support; the breast has bee n removed from the bathroom and kitchen below but there is no corbelling or other support. It seems to rest on the firewall which it straddles. Not su re what the case is on her neighbour's side. I looked at the surveyor's rep ort from when she bought the house which noted 'need for ongoing maintenace ' but I thought this was much more serious. The roof is tiled and so shallo w pitched I am sure there is no support above the ceiling. Should the stack come down? If it were cut in two I imagine the remainder might topple into the neighbour's roof...

Thanks for all advice. I appreciate the point that because it hasn't fallen after 10+ years then the odds are good that it will stay put. The thing ca me to my attention because there is some water penetrating the bathroom bel ow, perhaps because of failing mortar / flashings around the stack. The dec ision then is whether to repair these or (neighbours willing) just take the stack down and re-cover the hole in the roof. I imagine the first option w ould be a lot cheaper.

Reply to
Peter

The prudent action would be to get lt looked by a structural engineer. To rely just on advice from here, however well intentioned, would be sheer folly.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

[...]

It would be nice to think such professionals always gave great advice. IME so far with buildings, I don't really think they do. Like many things in li fe, a good way forward is often to get the different povs around and invest igate each more.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

How can advice given by unqualified people who have never seen the site be considered relevant? To glibly suggest that all professionals don't know their job is a very sweeping statement. Care to provide some credible information to substantiate your assertion?

Reply to
Peter Crosland

[...]

It would be, but I didnt say that.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

[...]

I had a chimney like this. There is a triangular support structure called a Gallows Bracket but it will take a lot of space in the room below the chi mney.

Rusty

Reply to
therustyone

But could be creatively turned into a feature...

Reply to
Tim Watts