Floating chimney. Am I seeing things?

A house is being built on my route home. The chimney just went on. The chimney sits on the roof - two pots and it looks like brick. But there's nothing underneath. I nearly crashed into the grass verge trying to make out whether I was seeing things. But no - just empty space. No brick stack going down to the ground. The brickwork is sitting on the ridge. Is it just me not looking carefully enough before, or is this a new idea? Not sure I'd like to be underneath in a high wind.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Peter Scott coughed up some electrons that declared:

Filming for the next episode of Bobski the Builder?

Reply to
Tim S

does it have precast flus pieces ... bricking off top of those would be an option I guess.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Well it MIGHT be purely decorative, or in fact its simply being used as a decorative top to a stainless steel flue.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Let me guess. You either work in a brewery or a distillery right?

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes, I saw several of these going up about 3 years ago. Fortunately I was walking past at the time, not driving;-) I can't recall exact details, but the roof was only the timber A-frames, and there were a row of brick chimneys pirched along the apex, with nothing underneath. I think they were setting on what was presumably a steel plate sitting on the rafters. I didn't see any of the stacks being built, and it could be they were just cardboard boxes with brick faces glued on.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

prefabricated chimney top?

Mj

That's a relief. I can smile at the guys with the straight-jackets again. Nothing at all underneath. No pipes nor ducts. Just the timber and fresh air.

I wondered if it was plastic, but couldn't see the point of it. Why not just have a stub of metal?

Reply to
Peter Scott

Amazing - I'll have 4 that will impress the neighbours!

Reply to
John

I suspect that comment will get you on the a little list at CABE - if their white-coated guys have not already collected you.

Reply to
neverwas

Plastic chimneys, just there for show. There is a row of new terraced houses near to me where they had the same thing done, the chimneys were stacked to one side for a few weeks until the roof was finished, then stuck on. Apparently, the planners had to make the new houses blend in with the area, and, they did, from a distance, they look like old terrace houses. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Saw one of these going up onto an old people's home being built round here (out on the A4 towards Twyford from Reading). I guess it was fibreglass or suchlike and purely decorative to give the place a homey feel rather than looking like a granny processing unit.

The name the place had was (is) most ironic/sad: The Sunrise Home.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I didn't know you could get them with misaligned brick courses, wonky pots, the pointing missing, and a large clump of grass growing out the top? ;-)

I've also got visions of an aerial installer tighening the chimney strap and the chimney puckering in around the middle :-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Could you get an aerial - or even better a satellite dish - inside a plastic chimneypot?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Sunset would have been more appropriate.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Same round near where I live - a new smallish estate went up a few years back with "chimneys" on top to blend-in with the surrounding houses...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I like the address of the sheltered housing in Yaxham, Norfolk

"St Peter'sClose"

Anna

-- Anna Kettle Lime plaster repair and conservation Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc Tel:    (+44)  01359 230642 Mob:   (+44)  07976 649862 Please look at my website for examples of my work at:

Anna Kettle

See

Michael Shergold

Stupid idiotic planning ideology ;(....

Reply to
tony sayer

You get right to the bottom before you discover that they are made of steel. Biggest is 90kg. 'Easily fitted by two people'!! It's a bit phoney isn't it, or is it just me being a purist.

Reply to
Peter Scott