flint blocks

Anyone got any experience with concrete blocks faced with flint? Mostly produced by small manufacturers by the look of it, and not easy to get a guide price. An adjoining property to us is building an extension, and I wouldn't mind their new wall replacing the boundary fence if it was a bit more interesting than rendered blockwork. I thought maybe brick style faced blocks but can't find any examples online. Anyone got any suggestions for a wall they wouldn't mind staring at in the long term, given that I probably won't persuade them to use bricks, or shall I just retain the existing fence (and the maintenance thereof)?

Reply to
stuart noble

I'd be wary of letting them build up to the boundary. unless they're paying you for the access rights for maintenance with a properly drawn up agreement. That way lies trouble when you or your neighbours sell. A rule of thumb would be that they need to leave enough room to work on the wall without coming onto your premises, and there needs to be some sort of boundary marker.

Apart from that. any wall that's in character with the area. If they inist on a concrete finish, then maybe a mural on the wall facing you? Or pargetted render, if their budget runs to it.

How's the rest of their building finished?

Reply to
John Williamson

I know how you feel

I've been out in the snow all day and my blocks are like flint too.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

The rest is painted render. According to the planning permission they have just obtained, they are permitted to come right up to the boundary. It was one of my objections but it has fallen on deaf ears

Reply to
stuart noble

'Right up to' the boundary does not mean it can form the boundary. Put a guide line in that marks the existing boundary that they may build up to, but certainly not cross or span.

Reply to
Nitro®

Reading between the lines, it appears that the edge of the guttering is likely to correspond to the edge of the footings, meaning that everything will be on their side, above and below ground.

I don't wish to create a party wall but maybe that means I can't screw trellis and stuff to it. Maybe I'll just grow some Russian vine over it

Reply to
stuart noble