Flickering power switch

Hi everyone, my wall socket power switch to my boiler is flickering red and there is no power to my boiler. Has the fuse blown or is it the socket that needs replacing

Reply to
Nick

Neon indicators often flicker for no reason. If you can't check a fuse yourself, get a qualified sparks in.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He didn't mention any neon, maybe the whole thing is flickering red?

In which case...

Reply to
Davey

Might help to know exactly what is there...

Is this a switch with a Flex outlet? Flex outlet and fuse and switch? Either of above with Neon indicator? Conventional plug and socket? Conventional plug and socket where the socket has a neon indicator?

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah. Then definitely get a sparks in. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1

I'm *really* hoping that flickering red means a flickering red neon, or we might be hearing about Nick on the News.....

Reply to
newshound

Sounds likes he's already got sparks in.

It's most likely a harmlessly flickering red neon indicator, which shows the fuse has not blown, the problem is elsewhere. We can't possibly know where from so little information.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Its just the connections to the neon or if you are really unlcky, one of the screws to the socket is loose but I'd have thought this would have generated arcing or local heat in the socket. I have a storage heater on off switch box like this. Since I lost my sight I can no longer see it, its been checked and there is nothing wrong with it, just the design of the way the neon wire and t its series resistor are bodgily clamped under a couple of metal strips under the switch part.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well, it does come from homeowners hub.

Reply to
Davey

If its a normal 13A socket with a neon (rather than a switched FCU etc), then its possible the fuse in the plug has blown, but the neon would still show power being fed to the plug.

Reply to
John Rumm

replying to Nick, Angelique Todesco-Bond wrote: Nick what was the answer to this as have woken up this morning to same thing socket power flickering - no power to boiler, however there is power to the separate heating control panel

Reply to
Angelique Todesco-Bond