flexing wall

Hi, I've been doing some alterations to my house, some of which mean removing some of the stairs.

The house is detached, abotu 6m x8m with a wall down the middle. The stairs sit in a corner of an outer wall and the middle wall. The outer walls are brick and soft blocks. The middle wall is high density block but it only goes up one storey.

When I was pulling a piece of skirting off, half way up the stairs, the slight levering effect made the outer wall move away from the inner one by about 1/4 inch. Is this normal type of behaviour? I would have thought that the internal wall would have been tied into the outer but I guess not. The wall moved back into palce as if it was flexing not actually shifting.

Reply to
adder1969

run and take cover

Reply to
Skier

Mmm.

It seems rather a lot..

I'd try and see what is actually happening.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yes, get some help pronto. Looks like youve just become a hard hat family.

NT

Reply to
meow2222