flexible Coper Pipe In Gas insatallation

Hi All,

In B&Q I noticed they do, these short flexible Coper pipe sticks, which can bend very easily.

Can they be used for gas pipe run too?

Best regards Mo

Reply to
Mo Thanku

If they are the corrugated solid copper ones, yes.

Reply to
IMM

IMM, I think you answered a similar question the other day, but could these be used in the connection of a fixed gas hob?

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Pearson

Yes. They are not 100% soft flexible as neoprene covered cooker hose is. They are flexible on installation and then left alone and remain rigid. In fact they are semi rigid rather than flexible.

Reply to
IMM

Indeed this stuff is available now in larger sizes on drums and is sometimes used for running house carcassing in new installations. Not widespread but gaining in popularity,obviously becuase it takes less time to install.

joe

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

Wonder how this sits with IMM's assertion that plastic is used on new builds to avoid the pikeys nicking the copper?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Doesn't this stuff mess up the flow calculations though, or doesn't it make much difference in practice?

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Many Thanks for all the feedback. Will they also be ok for soldering? I think in notes of the fitting it mention compresion fitting but nothing about soldering. Thanks once again

Reply to
Mo Thanku

It does a bit. Call the diameter 10% under the minimum inside diameter, and it'll be quite close.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I'm not sure whether they are permitted or not. If they conform to BS 864 then they probably are. Note that a 10% under in diameter will make at least a +50% increase in the equivalent normal straight length of proper pipe.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

My only concern with them would be if they were fixed in such a manner that made it possible to flex them repeatedly. As of course, they will fail eventually (soon) if used like that.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I have used them in the past. They are bendable, as is soft copper, not flexible.

Reply to
IMM

In what situation?

Reply to
IMM

I dunno. I was just confirming that corrugated copper pipe, though flexible enough for easy installation, and perfectly gas-tight, is not designed for repeated flexing, as it will fail.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

It is not flexible, only bendable. Once bent it is meant to stay there.

Reply to
IMM

I have soldered them up in the past. They tend to be brazed, if so then solder. If soldered, then use compression.

Reply to
IMM