flexi liner installed - phew

As expected that was a bitch of a job. But it went in without having to remove bricks half way up the stack. For others contemplating the job and wondering if the 6 inch liner [1] will go up the flue here are my experiences. I have a standard 10 inch flue 6 mts long with 2 restrictions [2] 90° to each other - one left to right and one front to back - height of restrictions about 24". I decided to pull the liner up, since any problem with a liner half way up would just leave the rest in the room rather than rendering the situation more urgent by it dangling in the air and quickly being destroyed over the chimney top. Get a nose cone - mine was a bit blunt and it will catch on everything on the way up - especially at any restrictions. So get a pointy tapered one if possible. I self tappered it one and then wrapped about a yard of real gooey tape around liner and cone. I used 8mm climbing rope to haul it up. Make sure you can't break whatever you choose and something good and thick like my choice is advised or you'll cut your hands to pieces. You will most likely have to haul like a person possessed, so make sure it is on really securely and devise system of hauling. I found short explosive bursts worked best. Essential to have 2 people at either end. I stood on a ladder and reached right down the flue to haul - this meant I was confident any cone detachment wasn't going to throw me off the ladder. As the liner reaches the top I sat 'à cheval' atop the stack. Be certain you can't fall off the stack after an unexpected cone detachment!! The other person must guide and push simultaneous with your pulls so as to ensure minimum friction and as much pushing welly as they can muster.

Time req'd ~ 1 hour.

I dispensed with the 1mt trial section malarky and the gamble paid off. YMMV!! Now I can confidently go buy the stove with the worst behind me (I hope).

Have fun

[1] required in the regs for non-smokeless fuel [2] I've called them restrictions but really they are changes in the vertical flues axis position, shifting round a 1st floor fireplace and out into the external stack..

-- Mike W

Reply to
visionset

I well remember coming home from school one day in 1963 to see Father on top of the chimney pulling stainless flue up 1900's brick chimney. It was a real laugh. I'm not sure if he had had it swept first! He did it all on his own too.

The flue lasted at least 20 years of oil boilering though; and Father, now 86, is still doing the odd DIY job.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

I did one in the first house I bought when I took out the parkray solid fuel back-boiler jobbie and put in a nice gas effect fire with back-boiler. Did it from top downwards straightening out the coils as I pushed.

Didn't sweep the chimney first and didn't make too much mess downstairs... well, it was fine right up to the point when the dog woke up to investigate what was going on behind the "curtain" !

:¬(

Got another one to do now, but can't decide whether to do it myself of get somone to do it for me.

Might be back for opinions ref: chimney top soon.

Pete

Reply to
pete33

Just remembered the one question I wanted to ask. When I fitted the nose cone and used some self tappers I found it very hit and miss whether the screw would 'take' in the liner; often a too large hole was tapped in the liner. Are there any special types of screw I should use, since I'll have to do the same when attaching the pipe connector.

Reply to
visionset

WE used a lot of duct tape.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To attach the pipe connector? So you don't mean Duck tape then!! What is duct tape? Heat proof I presume?

Reply to
visionset

"Duck" tape is a trade named duct tape. Duct tape is for sealing up air conditioning ducts... Sometimes called gaffer tape.

Why is gaffer tape like The Force? Because it has a good side and a bad side and it holds the Universe together.

Reply to
Huge

Surely this kind of tape will not stand much heat. I'm guessing the bottom of the liner is going to get up to 250°C

Reply to
visionset

The message from Huge contains these words:

Light side and dark side, Shirley?

Reply to
Guy King

I was assuming it was just for attaching the puller 'cone'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dunno. Star Wars is silly.

Reply to
Huge

The message from Huge contains these words:

But fun.

Reply to
Guy King