Flatpack fixings

Commercial flat pack furniture is often joined using special nuts and bolts. The nut is a piece of metal dowel with a threaded hole drilled at right angles to the axis. This goes into a hole in a flat panel and the bolt (usually with an oversize head) goes through another panel then through a hole drilled in the thickness of the first panel into the nut

The stength of such a joint always surprises me. Does anyone know where I can buy such fixings?

Dave

Reply to
dcbwhaley

From memory I think Screwfix retail such items. Whether they sell that precise item remains for you to discover but worth a look I would think.

Regards

Pilgarlick

Reply to
Pilgarlick

============== Look here:

Cicero

"dcbwhaley" wrote in news:1125856969.443977.308040 @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Try:

Reply to
Rod

Don't know if they have exactly what you need but they do have a lot if useful stuff

you can order a free catalogue, useful if you know what something looks like but don't know what it's called :)

Reply to
jg

Thank y'all. Knowing that they are called dowel nuts is a great help. I thought they were called barrel nuts. Screwfix have several other usefull looking fastners too. Thanks again.

Dave

Reply to
dcbwhaley

In message , dcbwhaley writes

I'd try Iassc lords or Woodfit.

Reply to
chris French

| Commercial flat pack furniture is often joined using special nuts and | bolts. The nut is a piece of metal dowel with a threaded hole drilled | at right angles to the axis. This goes into a hole in a flat panel and | the bolt (usually with an oversize head) goes through another panel | then through a hole drilled in the thickness of the first panel into | the nut | | The stength of such a joint always surprises me. Does anyone know | where I can buy such fixings?

They rely on the various holes being drilled to quite a fine tolerance (max error) Dead easy to do in a factory when producing thousands. Distinctly tricky making one off.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I got some in B&Q last year.

Dave