Flat Roof Replacement

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
The flat roof over my attached garage is becoming due for replacement
and I am considering the options. Does anyone have experience of the
fibreglass type roofing that can be used on flat roofs today? It's
suggested that this type, unlike normal felt, is a one-off job and never
needs replacing. Is this correct?

Kev

Re: Flat Roof Replacement

Roofing felt/bitumen should last ten years.
Fibre-glass will degrade in sunlight so will only be good for twenty years
(ish)
Tuf-dek or other proprietary branded 'poly-fibre-glass-plastic' roofing
products usually come
with a twenty to thirty year guarantee.

Price increases proportionatly. Difficulty of applying correctly also
increases.

Caveat Emptor.

Choose your fibreglass company and ask to see some of their work and talk to
the buildings owner.

'Swot I did

Dave

Re: Flat Roof Replacement
Only 10? If it's done properly, it ought to last for
*at least* 20 years, possibly 30.

Re: Flat Roof Replacement
Yes I agree. The felt roof that I am about to replace has been on since
I bought the house in 1986. It never had stones on - but rather a
'silver' coloured rubberised coating - any idea what that may be?

Kev

Re: Flat Roof Replacement
I very much disagree with the practice of putting chippings, etc. on
felt roofs.

No idea. Sounds as if it might be a paint-on coating applied as a bodge
to stop leaks.

Re: Flat Roof Replacement
It's a reflective layer to reflect the sun's radiation / UV.
But the way, what are the stones for that you sometimes see ?
They just mean the roof gets punctured when you walk on it.
Simon.

Re: Flat Roof Replacement
UV protection?

Christian.

Re: Flat Roof Replacement
The chippings are required on cheaper BS747 type bitumen felt roofs in order
to achieve AA rating for spread of flame.  Under Building Regulation B4, any
roof within 6m of a boundary needs to be AA rating.  The more expensive
"High Performance" mineral-surfaced felts comply with AA rating without
needing chippings.

Peter

Re: Flat Roof Replacement

Two reasons:
Reflect the UV radiation from the bitumen/felt to prevent degradation

and
Increase the surface area for the evaporation of rain water

You shouldn't puncture the roof because you shouldn't be walking on it!

If you want to walk on the roof then you should use solar reflective paint
or a resinous compound top coat.

Dave

Re: Flat Roof Replacement
Why does that help?

Re: Flat Roof Replacement

Solar Reflective paint.

http://www.interexint.co.uk/waterp4.htm

prevents the degradation by UV radiation of the bitumen and felt.

Dave

Re: Flat Roof Replacement
Thanks Dave - very helpful.

Kev