Flat Roof Query

I've got a small crack (4 inches) in a felt roof due to impact which I temporarily filled with Silicone Sealant to stop water ingress. Bought a reel of Wickes Hi-Tack Flashing tape to seal it but I see the small print says it must not come into contact with silicone sealent. Anyone know why ?

Rob

Reply to
Rob

In article , Rob writes

At a guess I'd say they were concerned about it not sticking to the silicone, it's certainly not going to burst into flames. Provided you've just filled the crack and not spread it around too much I'd say you'll be fine.

At this time of year you may need to warm the felt and/or the tape to get it sticking.

Reply to
fred

Is the flashing tape aluminium or zinc? Silicone contains acetic acid which will react with the zinc and make holes. Aluminium should be OK, as the oxide layer protects it from acetic acid.

I would pull the silicone off anyway.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'd use bitumen paint & synthetic cloth.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It smells nicer when the sun is on it too.. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Silicone may stick to near anything, but most things won't stick to it.

You'd have done better to use something like Acropol, designed to seal felt roofs and bridge cracks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Flag ROOFIX seems to be v. popular and as they sell it in 1L cans. Thats more than I need. Acrypol seems similar. I'll get the Silicone out and apply this.

Reply to
Rob