Flat Roof Decking Material

Hi Everyone - Anyone with advice on the best affordable and durable material to use for flat roof decking. I have thought about 18mm plywood but it seems quite expensive and I have been told if water does manage to seep past the felting then it will swell up and have to be replaced yet again.

kindest regards

Reply to
cisco kid

Our flat roofed garage/car port is decked with T&G flooring boards. We've just had it re-felted due to a leak with no need to replace any of the timbers which are now 20+ years old.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Just about anything other than any form of chipboard.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Andrew writes

Ditto, with our flat roofs (extension and garage) which is 35+ years old. Actually there had been a little rotting, but that was where we think there had been a persistent, but small leak for many years. And replacing bits of T&G boards was easy enough.

The T&G on the bat roof was probably original 1930's boards and also sound.

Reply to
chris French

You can get marine ply which is a bit more water resistant. My own choice is old floorboards from the reclamation yard. With a quick dip in Cuprinol 5star.

Reply to
Mark

Hi,

It won't swell much but will eventually rot if it stays very damp or wet. If this will be a problem look into pressure treated/tanalised ply.

A lot depends on the covering, if it's EPDM or fibreglass the chance of leaks should be reduced compared to felt.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Hi Cisco Kid

I recently had a flat roof problem and decided to put a fibreglass roof on myself a DIY project. I came across an ebook book priced =A32 advertised in google sponserd links on the web at;

It proved very beneficial it is in two sections one concerning hiring a flat roofer, i.e. questions to ask, how much you should pay, what materials should be used, how to avoid the "cowboys", what the isurance and guarantees mean etc; and another section concerned with DIY which included easy to understand graphic illustration. It was full of useful information concerning all aspects of flat roofing, how to fit the decking, different types of material, how to fit a warm roof, where to source fibreglass supplies and how to apply it etc; Best of luck with your roof;

and hope this is of help

Regards=20

Fred

Reply to