Flat Roof & Adding Value

If a terraced house (in an area popular with first time buyers) has a kitchen extension with a flat roof, would the construction of a "regular" roof usually add value to the house?
i.e. add more to the value of the property than the cost of constructing the roof
Anyone have any opinions?
On 23 Oct 2003 16:14:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@postmaster.co.uk (MrHappyChap) wrote:

I can't see why it would. The more likely scenario is that it would detract from the value if the flat roof were in a poor state of repair.
Is the kitchen extension of relatively recent construction with a felted roof? Is it possible that the foundations and construction are adequate for a room to built on it at first floor level?
This would need building regulations approval and probably planning permission, but if the potential is there it could be a selling point but probably not lead to a higher price.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

First time buyers don't really look at the roof construction I find. They're more likely to look at a second loo or beautiful kitchen and living room before asking about the roof. However, a surveyor will want to look more closely at the type and construction of any extensions or other add ons.
If you did put a different roof on top, wouldn't it effect the upstairs windows ?
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

You can use a 12.5 degree pitch roof which will probably avoid affecting the upstairs windows.

I suppose, if the existing roof isn't already to close to them.
MrHappyChap wrote:

You wouldn't be adding a new facility that the property needs. I doubt an estate agent would value the house any higher, and it's not something that's going to be on a buyers list of requirements. It might possibly improve the chance of a sale going through if the existing roof looks bad. But it's not something that's cheap or easy. If you're looking to add value, I'd look elsewhere IIWY.
-Duncan
snipped-for-privacy@postmaster.co.uk (MrHappyChap) wrote:
Hello MrHappyChap

Around here, there's not much you can do to "add value" - the location is everything, and there's such a huge pressure that costs just keep on increasing despite anything.
Eg, last house. I spent around 15k improving it. Went up in value from 90k to 125k in five years. I then sold it and it was sold a year later for 250k with nothing extra done to improve it.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK