flat roof

my flat roof is leaking and needs replacing. i`ve been quoted =A3800 for approximately 7metres by 2.5metres but wouldnt mind having a go myself. does anyone know how much my materials will be and how bigger job is it?

Reply to
ady804

I know this...

Im assuming its going to need felting & bitumen?

You're best buying the burner and obtaining an small empty 6 kilos calor gas bottle to get a refill at £10,why an empty bottle because most propane gas stockist charge £20 for the bottle and gas and the extra £10 is like a deposite?

The gas lasts quite a long time and is well worth buying the torch rather than hiring it.

George

oops! Your FLAT as in (A Flat) not A flat roof as opposed to a sloping roof. lol

Sorry about that.

Reply to
George

George i`ve confused myself now:o) i live in a house not a flat. the kitchen extension has a flat roof as opposed to a pitched roof.

Reply to
ady804

George i`ve confused myself now:o) i live in a house not a flat. the kitchen extension has a flat roof as opposed to a pitched roof.

Well I've had a bad day with the local plod and I'm a bit peeved with them. Anyway see this link what you need to know is at the bottom called...

The installation of an EPDM

George

About £35 m2, boards extra. If you decide to DIY make sure you have a fire extinguisher. Use torch on felt. 2 layers.Disposal of the old felt !! ?.

Reply to
keith_765

What about using the new cold fixed felt (self adhesive) or EPDM rubber? Both these are DIY and require no torches

dg

Reply to
dg

2 layers? I used three when I did a bit of flat dormer roof about 20 years ago. The first layer (nailed on to the decking) was perforated with holes about 1" dia every three or four inches. This ensures that the underfelt, which is layed over that with bitumen, allows movement and breathing of the decking without distortion. The top felt obviously gives mechanical and solar protection. The bitumen stuff bubbling away in the tar boiler smells wonderful! Drop a few potatoes into it and leave them for an hour or so. Fish 'em out and peel off the tar when it sets, and you have a lovely mid-job meal :-)

The roof still appears to be watertight albeit catching the sun for most of the day.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes

Have you considered EPDM/Butyl rubber instead of felt - it's a much more sensible material for a flat roof than mineral felt? It much is more expensive than felt, but a much much better lifespan. Much easier to lay and fix.

A couple of links:

(Their catalogue is much more useful than the website)

Reply to
chris French

Really, really, don't bother doing it yourself. Factor in the cost of=20 your time plus the slightly less-than-perfect finish, and it's really,=20 really not worth doing.

(Having done 3 different flat root repairs myself, and decided it's not=20 worth it after finishing each one....)

Reply to
AJ

An alternative worth considering.

1501

I'd disagree: get hold of the Ruberoid Blue Book, (download it), follow the detailing exactly as they show, and you'll get a far better job than most professionals will ever manage. The detailing looks fiddly and unreasonable at first, but it really does work - and the professionals' short cuts and bodges neither look good nor last.

Reply to
Autolycus