Flat roof

I am currently house hunting, and have come across a property that looks mostly like what we are looking for, but with one little worry. The property has two extensions, both of which have a flat roof.

I have heard that flat roofs can give all sorts of maintenance headaches. Should I be worried about this? Is this something that's going to cause long-term problems, or is a worst-case scenario that I just have to spend a few thousand quid on replacing the roofs and then it's OK for the next 20 years?

Many thanks

Adam

Reply to
Adam

Probably not.

Most probably not.

That's about it. You should get at least 20 years out of a properly-done felted flat roof, more like 30 if it's not abused.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

More like £500-£1000 per flat roof per 12-15 years for standard felt. The important thing is to replace them before any leaks develop and affect the boarding, so keep an eye on them! As long as you regard the felt coverings on flat roofs as a consumable you'll be OK!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Check the type of roof. i.e. is it insulated. I had a concrete flat roof which was felted but no real insulation under or above the concrete. The result was a cold patch accumulating condensation and mould growth. I ended up getting a pitched roof built over it. Also check there is some kind of fall. Again puddles on the roof make it cold. Rory

Reply to
Rory