Flat pack furniture

OK but how do you get it apart?

Reply to
harryagain

A very large alternating current degouser?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Back when I was a kid magnets didn't make permanent joins. Have they changed?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Some have ...

[website seems somewhat slow at the moment]
Reply to
Andy Burns

On Monday 23 December 2013 08:31 Tim+ wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes - they are now insanely strong!

eg you do not want to get your old man between 2 of these bad boys:

I have a number of neodymium fridge magnets - 2 are keyrings that can hold large bunches of keys. I have several 20mm ones that can clamp 20-30 sheets of paper to the same.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Sheet steel chair? Brr! Watch the chalfonts!

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Yeah well, it seems somewhat obvious that furniture that is intended to be "demountable" will only use magnets that are "strong enough"

From an environmental POV, not sure that this is a step forward. Rare earth magnet production is incredibly "dirty".

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Dear MFI my credit cards all stopped working after I sat on your steel seated magnetic chair with my wallet in my pocket!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Tim+ wrote in news:1120100615409482444.374731timdownie2003- nospampleaseyahoo.co.uk@news .eternal-september.org:

I think we are wasting resources in using rare earth magents for trivial uses (such as toys). I believe they all come from China.We will get dependant on them and then the Chinese will refuse to supply the magnets and will only supply the final items at a high cost.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Quite, One place I visit has some bar type chairs made from ali. These are outside, you really do not want to sit on them for very long at all or you get a frozen backside.

Also looking at the picture of the chair the seat and back aren't shaped so not only will they be cold and suck heat from your bum, they will be uncomfortable. Very much as case of form over function.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Heat above the Curie point....

Reply to
newshound

That is why there is some wood in the design - you set light to it, and it helps raise the temperature of the magnets to the Curie point. Looking at the design, it might also improve it!

Reply to
John Rumm

Benjamin Vermeulen (The designer)says the design means the furniture is "just a sturdy as one that that has been assembled using traditional flat-pack methods".

I'd say the trick would be to get it to stay together, if that's the case.

Reply to
John Williamson

Yes that would work but slightly singe the materials I'd have thought.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Some of the very powerful ones made from exotic materials are very very strong indeed.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Another thought of course is that one can use an adhesive and just use the magnets to hold it together till it sets. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

And you couldn't buy it mail order as most carriers refuse to carry strong magnets.

(Not that that stops ebay sellers of course)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Neodymiun rare earth magnets presumably.

harryagain

Quite right. We need them for wind turbines and electric cars.

Reply to
harryagain

If you ever handled these magnets, you would see that will never be a problem. They are strong enough to kill.

Reply to
harryagain