Flaky secuurity PIR light - replaced - still flaky

Hi,

I had a "security" light (Enlight) on an external wall. It worked well for a few months and then only came on occassionally. I tested the fuse on the supply - OK - and I opened up the back of the light to see if the wires were loose they seemed fine. After I pulled the wires around a bit the light worked for a few days - so I thought - loose wire - then the device stopped working again and no amount of fiddling would get it to work.

I bought a replacement light yesterday. I connected it up then switched the power on. This device goes into a "test" mode where the bulb is a few minutes no matter what is the ambient light. That worked fine - so I thought great. I switched off then on again. The bulb lit again so I thought great.

I went past the light last night and it didn't come on. I have switched the power to the light off and on several times and the bulb has not lit. I have checked the fuse and that is OK. What on earth could be wrong with the new light? Are these Enlight lights just unreliable or could the problem be somewhere else?

Thanks

Clive

Reply to
Clive

Never ignore the obvious.

The bulb from the new light had blown.

I replaced the "new bulb" with the bulb from the old light. After an initial problem because I had not "seated" the bulb properly - it has run OK on a "test" by tunring the power supply off then on.

I wonder if I switched the supply off and on too many times (3 at most) and this caused the new bulb to blow? As always, jobs take 3 times as long as you expect.

Clive

Reply to
Clive